They Do Exist!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Turkeys at Lexington WMA...

I went out this afternoon after work, hoping the cool, wet weather might somehow change my luck of recent. On the drive out to Lex WMA, I saw three (couldn't tell the sex from afar) turkeys on private land just north of the WMA boundary. Once I got out to my spot, I set up my blind (which took about 45 minutes because I kept waffling on the best setup location). I ended up falling asleep in the blind, I guess because I had been up since 4am for work. Once I woke up, the temp had dropped, the wind was blowing, it was getting a little late and I was getting hungry, so I packed up to leave. As I was driving home, I spotted another turkey hanging out in one of the dirt parking lots for the WMA. So those are officially the first turkey I've seen down there. I was beginning to doubt.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Turkeys at Lexington WMA...

I went out this afternoon after work, hoping the cool, wet weather might somehow change my luck of recent. On the drive out to Lex WMA, I saw three (couldn't tell the sex from afar) turkeys on private land just north of the WMA boundary. Once I got out to my spot, I set up my blind (which took about 45 minutes because I kept waffling on the best setup location). I ended up falling asleep in the blind, I guess because I had been up since 4am for work. Once I woke up, the temp had dropped, the wind was blowing, it was getting a little late and I was getting hungry, so I packed up to leave. As I was driving home, I spotted another turkey hanging out in one of the dirt parking lots for the WMA. So those are officially the first turkey I've seen down there. I was beginning to doubt.

I think they call that camping. Setting up a dwelling for sleeping. Hopefully you were in an approved camping area. :w000t:

SoonerATC

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
This afternoon my wife and I went for a drive around Lake Thunderbird after trying some fishing in the rain. No luck with the fishing, but another couple gave me their one crappie they had caught. It was a bit on the small side, so I went ahead and just released it after they left. As usual, we saw quite a few deer around the Indian Point area. We also happened across a wild turkey hen walking around near some empty campgrounds. Later, as we approached the park office (they have an open nature area where deer are often seen loitering around), she spotted two toms. We pulled over and she wanted me to try my slate call on them to get them to gobble. I tried, but only got them to gobble once or twice. I still sometimes sound like a hen going through puberty when I use it. There also happened to be another couple in a vehicle nearby doing the same thing. They were much more responsive to his calls. All in all, it was a fun drive. We saw about a dozen deer plus the turkey. It was the first time I'd ever seen toms in real life. It was much easier then I thought it would be to tell them apart from the hens.

Now, if I could only spot turkey in a legal area when I have my gun with me...

Latest posts

Top Bottom