Think your favorite lock is safe.... Probably not.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim Deal

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a video on TV last night where a guy has this app on his iPhone and it reads your key fob and once he does that all he has to do is walk up to your car and use his phone to open the locks for easy grabbing.
My son had his pickup truck and tools stolen that way in Tulsa. The truck was trashed/totaled by insurance company and none of his tools were recovered.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw a video on TV last night where a guy has this app on his iPhone and it reads your key fob and once he does that all he has to do is walk up to your car and use his phone to open the locks for easy grabbing.

That depends on the tech used. NFC is what phones can generally read information from. If you put it up against a passport you can actually get a read. If the fob's use NFC it is possible but I have never really dealt with that type of vehicle. The old style clickers is a different story and unless there was a piece of hardware that plugged into the phone I call BS on it. A lot of the clicker fobs use low frequencies the phones can't even touch let alone begin to transmit.

And a quick look at the new ones says BS as well unless hardware is involved. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key Just software alone will not do it as the phones don't have the ability to interface with 300 mhz and 125 khz. But then again there are video's on youtube where people supposedly hold clickers up to a phone for someone and unlock a car from half a world away too. The only way to do something like that in reality is with a special app designed by the manufacturer and then sending a cellular data signal using something like onstar. A cell phone would not be able to interface directly with this system as the cell modem in the vehicle is set to connect to a tower so you would need to over ride the tower, break the connection and then get it to connect up to your device and then initiate the hack. Not going to happen on an iPhone, the walled garden pretty much prevents that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom