Thinking about becoming an FFL in order to build & sell custom ARs, a few questions..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egriton

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm really not interested in doing this to make money, just a hobby. Even if in the long-run I lose some money from ATF fees and the occasional broken part, no big deal. This is just to give me a fun, relaxing break from my real job.

I've built more than enough ARs for myself and worked with various friends to build for them. I'd like to continue, but before offering my services, I think I should be properly licensed and incorporated through a LLC.

So, my key question is do I need both a 01 FFL and a 07? More or less my "business" plan is to make a few a month, maybe one or two a week tops, have the customer select what he wants, then I build and test fire.

If I assemble the parts on order, I assume I am a "manufacturer" rather than just a "gunsmith". Correct?

BTW, if there are any current FFL licensees who might want to partner up, so I simply work under the umbrella of their license, let me know. Again, I'm not looking to make any real money, just doing it for fun... and it would warm my heart to be able to offer ARs at fair prices. None of this $375 in P-TAC parts marked up to $600 or $800 we see here and on Armslist.

Beyond the 01/07 question, any other input would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Top Bottom