Thinking about geting an AK

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only AK I've owned was an under folder Yugo. Though it was insanely reliable, it was also very inaccurate and the under folder stock was very uncomfortable. If I were to ever get another one, I'd go with a fixed stock and keep my shooting under 50 yards.
Good info. I had been looking at a few underfolders.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting advice. I was under the impression that some of the domestic manufacturers were putting out decent rifles these days.

It’s a damn shame Rijas ain’t still around. I believe his AKs would shoot sub MOA at 1000 yards as well. Not to mention all the navy seals, and green berets, and CIA operators had one just he is sooooo awesome!

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@mouthpiece Why would you run a machine 1500 rounds with out cleaning? The rifles are running metal on metal and running them dirty seems like it would lead to premature wear, to my thinking. Even in a combat situation, that seems extreme, but I served in peace time so I am no expert on that. Is it just something you check off a questions list or what is your thinking on that?
Yes, people keep saying that the AK is so reliable. I get that, and in my experience they are.
My point to prove is that the AR in 7.62X39 can also be extremely reliable which reminds me that I want to take them both back to the range over the next few weeks and put another several hundred rounds through both of them. I've shot about 95% + steel case through both.

Attachments

• E4B320F8-062E-45C9-B500-BEDDFD3456BD.png
    E4B320F8-062E-45C9-B500-BEDDFD3456BD.png
    352.7 KB · Views: 182
  • D72B1F40-0298-4075-AF48-4EEAAD5B59A8.png
    D72B1F40-0298-4075-AF48-4EEAAD5B59A8.png
    462.6 KB · Views: 197

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe that he's never put a cash price on it. Just wants to trade for a Ruger mini 30 with wood stock.

And if I could find a 1 piece wood stock and rear peep sight for it, I would keep the Saiga. Seriously for self defense / combat use an AK is more than accurate enough and much more reliable under combat conditions than an AR. That is part of the reason many special forces prefer the AK over the AR, at least according to the few I have talked to.

Personally I developed my hatred of the AR platform in the 70s while in the service. Never had to use one in combat thank God because the rifles we were issued were Jam-O-matics.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, people keep saying that the AK is so reliable. I get that, and in my experience they are.
My point to prove is that the AR in 7.62X39 can also be extremely reliable which reminds me that I want to take them both back to the range over the next few weeks and put another several hundred rounds through both of them. I've shot about 95% + steel case through both.

Gotcha! Good luck on getting people on the webs to change their opinion, You are an ambitious soul Sir !! Carry on. :cool:

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And if I could find a 1 piece wood stock and rear peep sight for it, I would keep the Saiga. Seriously for self defense / combat use an AK is more than accurate enough and much more reliable under combat conditions than an AR. That is part of the reason many special forces prefer the AK over the AR, at least according to the few I have talked to.

Personally I developed my hatred of the AR platform in the 70s while in the service. Never had to use one in combat thank God because the rifles we were issued were Jam-O-matics.

Back in the olden times, yes, they were junk.
The AR's of today though will run like a top.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the olden times, yes, they were junk.
The AR's of today though will run like a top.

I would have to test one before I would even think of getting one and that means the kind of test I did on an AK. Throw it in the mud, run a stick down the barrel to clear it, and then fire it without an issue. A buddy had an AK and we read about people doing that, so we tried it. It worked. I doubt any AR will.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would have to test one before I would even think of getting one and that means the kind of test I did on an AK. Throw it in the mud, run a stick down the barrel to clear it, and then fire it without an issue. A buddy had an AK and we read about people doing that, so we tried it. It worked. I doubt any AR will.

Try it out. Not with PSA junk, but with a quality gun, I'm sure it'll run its course.

Latest posts

Top Bottom