Thinking about getting into reloading...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ActionJaxn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the title states, I am thinking about getting into reloading my own ammo. Can anybody or everybody offer any advice as to what I should be looking for?

Just FYI, if I start something, I prefer to start with using the best equipment, not something that I will have to upgrade later on down the road. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

papal

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
get an RCBS rock chucker supreme kit and don't look back. Sure, you may upgrade to a dillon or other progressive later, but you'll always have a use for and a special fondness for the single stage you cut your teeth on.

And ditch the speer manual it comes with and get the Lyman book. Soak in the knowledge by actually reading it.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with the above. Don't let anyone tell you you can't start on a progressive. You'll probably end up withe a single stage anyway so you can start there if you want. If you want progressive get the Hornady LNL AP or the Dillon 650. Check out Brian Enos for ordering Dillon stuff. I use the Hornady LNL progressive and it serves me well but I also have an old Pacific single stage I use also. Lee is kinda low budget but some swear it works just as well.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have/had a Lyman T-mag II. It's a semi progressive, turret head type, although somebody told me it was too short a throw for rifle rounds. Longest thing I ever put in it was a 45/70. Hope I get it back someday!

PS: I liked it a lot, although I never had any thing else to compare it to.

DrJeff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with a Dillon 550. I actually am glad that I did this over a single stage loader, at least for loading pistol ammunition. The 550 works great for transitioning between 2 or more types of calibers.

Don't get too rushed into making your ammunition. I recommend getting 2 or three books on reloading. These books should address basic principles and safety of reloading. Dillon sales a DVD that is also very helpful for reloading. You Tube also has several reloading videos using the 550 and 650 models.

Basically, gain all the information you can to lay a foundation for safe reloading. Ask questions of friends who reload and on this forum.

I have been reloading for about a year and learn new things all the time from others. Good luck!

tran

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
get an RCBS rock chucker supreme kit and don't look back. Sure, you may upgrade to a dillon or other progressive later, but you'll always have a use for and a special fondness for the single stage you cut your teeth on.

And ditch the speer manual it comes with and get the Lyman book. Soak in the knowledge by actually reading it.

+1...

44.40 wheelgunner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
normally I would suggest starting on a rock chucker single stage press, but it is possible to start on a dillon, such as a square deal, or a 550. But if you do start on a progressive press, you should use it as a single stage type press, i.e. only one shell loaded as you move it thru the stations, till you get a good handle on things. progressive presses can load vast amounts of ammo in a hurry, and if you are not very careful , you can wind up with a lot of sour rounds.
the dillon video is pretty good.

alank2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hi,

Look seriously at the Dillon 550. It is not likely you'll outgrow it unless you are loading thousands of rounds a month. I love my 550. You can load one cartridge on it at a time instead of four to begin with, but you can switch to four on the plate at once when you are ready. One crank of the handle = one round produced each time.

Good luck,

Alan

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You'll need a single stage press (Or possible turret) anyway, and it's a safe way to begin reloading.

The RCBS rockchucker is a great press, but has become way overpriced in the last decade. The Lee cast press is actually better IMO, cheaper and has a huge stroke, if you ever get into really long cartridges. Don't forget all of the little stuff- Dies, case prep tools, capper, scale, tumbler, powder measure, trays, zip lock bags, markers, etc.. it all adds up. Surf ebay, check Craigslist, classifieds, OSA, big vendor sales.

A progressive press is great if you have 1 or more main calibers and have grown weary of pulling the handle. I have a RL550 and leave it set for .45 cal200gr LSWC's over 5.3 gr 231. I throw a couple charges to weigh and get everything right, then get on with the routine. Too lazy to screw with everything and set it up for other, less frequently shot calibers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Hornady LNL is definitely easier to setup and tweak than the Dillon. It wouldn't be bad at all to learn on. I have both. If you want a progressive there happens to be one for sale in the classifieds. :lookaroun

Latest posts

Top Bottom