I Think I Want A Guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Since y'all know about everything here, any specific recommendations for an inexpensive electric guitar?

I'm thinking about trying to learn to play a little even though they say you can't teach an old dog new tricks. I figure with the new fangled interwebs lessons I can pick it up maybe some.

I generally like the Stratocaster style and sound but I'll definitely consider others. I don't mind a used one even, if you have one you no longer need. I have access to a practice amp already but if you have something to pass along let me know

So tell me what you all think is worth the trouble and the best way for a cheap old guy to learn. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I played guitar in high school. I was a Gibson guy, but they may be out of your price range, whatever that is. I think Peavey may still make cheaper guitars than most. Or maybe Ibanez or B.C. Rich, if they're still in business. I dunno. I've been out of that world for way too long. Back in my day (when I was a wannabe rockstar) the big brands were (in no particular order) Gibson, Fender, Dean, Jackson, Kramer, BC Rich, Ibanez and Washburn. I'm sure there are other companies today that weren't around in the 80s when I was playing.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re serious about learning guitar buy something that’s pretty decent, if you buy a cheap one that’s hard to chord or sounds bad you won’t stick with it, you might also consider an acoustic to begin with for a truer sound ?
I don’t consider myself an expert but did make my living playing in a band for a few years until a divorce and getting full custody of my 5 yr. Old daughter forced me to quit running the roads and get a real job.

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’re serious about learning guitar buy something that’s pretty decent, if you buy a cheap one that’s hard to chord or sounds bad you won’t stick with it, you might also consider an acoustic to begin with for a truer sound ?
I don’t consider myself an expert but did make my living playing in a band for a few years until a divorce and getting full custody of my 5 yr. Old daughter forced me to quit running the roads and get a real job.
This. dont buy a cheap POS because it will be difficult to play. I always like PRS but theyre pricey.

As suggested you might try an acoustic first.

V98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can’t go wrong with a Yamaha product.

They don’t spend enormous funds buying endorsements from famous musicians.

They are readily available used and prices are reasonable. The quality is good and the playability is good.

I have owned Gibsons, Fenders, PRS, Eastman and others but my addiction started with a Yamaha.

Enjoy!

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want some versatility many acoustic guitars also have a plug in so they can be played either through an amplifier or without one. Kind of the best of both worlds if you ask me because that way if you want to take your guitar along on a trip, you don't have to drag the amp along with you too.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been playing since the 60s. A Strat or any quality electric properly set up will be a whole lot easier on your fingers than about any acoustic. Go by the Guitar Center in Tulsa and shop around. You may get a better idea of what you want and you can try them all. Nothing wrong with a Strat, Gibson or PRS.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This. dont buy a cheap POS because it will be difficult to play. I always like PRS but theyre pricey.

As suggested you might try an acoustic first.
The PRS SE models are made in Indonesia, but they are pretty decent guitars. As they say, they're half the cost of an American Paul Reed Smith, but more than half as good.

G&L also has a "budget" (aka Tribute model) line made in Indonesia, same thing not quite as good quality as the American models, but much less expensive. There is a strat style that is somewhere around $500 new, but can often be found in good shape for about $300 used. They're nice little guitars for the money. I have one I've thought about selling but haven't decided yet... I like it, but I really have too many.

Epiphone is Gibson's import/budget line. There is an Epiphone version of most any Gibson guitar model for considerably less money.

You can check www.guitarcenter.com and sort for used guitars, and they have a pretty liberal return policy... 30 days? Maybe 45? And you can order online from a store anywhere and return it to your nearest store, except I don't think they refund shipping charges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom