I Think I Want A Guitar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Heeler

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning on picking up some of the parts this weekend for a Telecaster build. I'll probably OD on Tele build videos between now and then.
GREAT choice!

Teles are so versatile. Can play any genre … country, rock, blues and jazz on one. One of my favorite albums is the late great Roy Buchanan’s “Loading Zone”. The tone he could wring out of a Tele was amazing.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been playing a full 60yrs of my life.
In the late 90"s through 2005 I was in a power trio called Shwamprat in the Kansas City bar scene. I have owned some pretty good sounding & coòl gear and most of it was restored and modded pawn shop gear. Amazing what a good set of pickups or a bridge upgrade and proper setup can do to an otherwise cheap so so guitar.
Hard to beat a properly setup Telecaster or Strat even the cheapest Squire can have tone magic.
I had a beautiful 1963 Gibson ES335 that was full of gremlins and frustrating considering what that guitar is worth now. I had a 62 SG special with a hot bridge P90 I got at Ben Jacks in Ft Smith for $100. I had Larry Briggs add a Dimarzio PAF at the neck. Killer guitar. I played it through a 1965 Twin Reverb that had JBL speakers. Dynamite rig.
I had a Gretsch Chet Atkins amp that had a leslie and two 12" Altec speakers. Joe Walsh tone was cool.
65 Fender Pro Reverb amp modded by Todd Sharp at Nashville Amp Service with V30 Celestion speakers. I played alot of biker gigs with that killer tone rig and a Strat and a Goldtop Heritage Les Paul. At big outdoor gigs I also ran a 50watt Marshall 1987 Plexi stereo with the Pro Reverb. Amazing sounding with my Strat.
Now I have 2 Teles, a Strat with custom shop 69 pickups and an Epiphone Goldtop 56 Les Paul with Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers set up for slide. I run a Roland Boss Nextone tube logic amp because tube amp service is sketchy post covid and the Boss does it all.
It is fun, I have used it to keep my brain workin right.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Squire.

Can’t go wrong and easily resold, there are probably a million used Squires because every one has to start somewhere.

Good luck! I have guitars for sale but probably not beginner guitars.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0236.png

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to try to learn to play again; currently have a Maryland-made PRS P24 and some model of acoustic-electric Martin. And, too many Hawaiian-made ($$$), but not touched for a long time ukuleles to mention.

ETA: I guess I do touch them when I add water to the case humidifiers.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had several (coupla dozen) 'lectric guitars (including some really great high-end models)...& yet I can still play the radio way better than any guitar. I more like play WITH them..... But I have learned quite a bit ABOUT them.
So my rookie recommendation is to try out the 'Classic Vibe' series by Fender. I have a couple of their earlier made versions of the Telecaster- a pine body 'Blonde' & a hollow body Thinline. They are top-notch for fit n finish, VERY well made, & Chinese as all get-out. They also make some sweet Strats. Not TOO much $$$$, but highly rated & pros dig 'em. Go handle a Fender 'Classic Vibe' Strat & se if you agree.

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been playing a full 60yrs of my life.
In the late 90"s through 2005 I was in a power trio called Shwamprat in the Kansas City bar scene. I have owned some pretty good sounding & coòl gear and most of it was restored and modded pawn shop gear. Amazing what a good set of pickups or a bridge upgrade and proper setup can do to an otherwise cheap so so guitar.
Hard to beat a properly setup Telecaster or Strat even the cheapest Squire can have tone magic.
I had a beautiful 1963 Gibson ES335 that was full of gremlins and frustrating considering what that guitar is worth now. I had a 62 SG special with a hot bridge P90 I got at Ben Jacks in Ft Smith for $100. I had Larry Briggs add a Dimarzio PAF at the neck. Killer guitar. I played it through a 1965 Twin Reverb that had JBL speakers. Dynamite rig.
I had a Gretsch Chet Atkins amp that had a leslie and two 12" Altec speakers. Joe Walsh tone was cool.
65 Fender Pro Reverb amp modded by Todd Sharp at Nashville Amp Service with V30 Celestion speakers. I played alot of biker gigs with that killer tone rig and a Strat and a Goldtop Heritage Les Paul. At big outdoor gigs I also ran a 50watt Marshall 1987 Plexi stereo with the Pro Reverb. Amazing sounding with my Strat.
Now I have 2 Teles, a Strat with custom shop 69 pickups and an Epiphone Goldtop 56 Les Paul with Seymour Duncan mini humbuckers set up for slide. I run a Roland Boss Nextone tube logic amp because tube amp service is sketchy post covid and the Boss does it all.
It is fun, I have used it to keep my brain workin right.
Do you by chance still have this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom