This loser was a Poacher not a Hunter!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am offended by the fact the writer of this story referred to this poacher as a hunter! It is a slap in the face to those hunters that respect wildlife, property, laws and above all else safety!

http://www.newsok.com/hartshorne-hu...article/3523733?custom_click=headlines_widget

Hartshorne hunter who was shot and killed had meth in his system, medical examiner says
The Hartshorne man who was shot and killed last year while hunting with a friend had meth in his system, according to the final autopsy report from the state medical examiner's office.

BY SHEILA STOGSDILL [email protected] Oklahoman
Published: December 15, 2010

WILBURTON — A Hartshorne man who was killed while deer hunting had methamphetamine and amphetamine in his blood, according to an autopsy report released Tuesday.

John A. Morgan, 43, was shot and killed Oct. 24, 2009, while hunting with Jack Zearley in the Gowen Mountain area.

The state medical examiner's office was not able to determine if the shooting was accidental or intentional, spokeswoman Cherokee Ballard said Tuesday.

Investigators said Zearley, 70, fired a high-powered rifle at a deer that was between the two men. Zearley has not been arrested or charged.

The autopsy report states Morgan died from a gunshot wound to the neck. The toxicology reports show he had methamphetamine and amphetamine in his blood, which could have been a factor in his death.

“It implies there was enough of the illegal drug to have an affect on his system,” said Dr. Byron Curtis, chief toxicologist, referring to the level of methamphetamine.

Court records show both men had previous drug convictions.

The autopsy report indicates it is unknown if the shot ricocheted or was a direct hit.

“The shot is a potentially fatal wound … without prompt medical intervention,” the report states. “The range of shot appears to be long range.”

“It was an accident,” said Beth Ann Carter, Zearley's sister. “They were hunting buddies.”

Carter said the shooting has taken a toll on her brother.

“He stops by often and checks on the family,” Carter said. “He loves those kids.”

Dana Morgan, John Morgan's widow, does not have a published telephone number and was unavailable for comment. Zearley also could not be reached for comment.

“The shooting is under review and no decision has been made on whether charges will be filed in the death,” said Jeff Smith, Latimer County district attorney.

A state Wildlife Conservation Department spokesman said shortly after the shooting that the men had no hunting licenses and weren't wearing proper hunter safety clothing. The autopsy report indicates Morgan was wearing overalls, a sweatshirt and gloves that were all made from camouflage material.

The men were hunting with guns during a season open only for archery and muzzleloading firearms, the conservation department spokesman said.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Agreed!

And this is not really anything I wanted to read about Hartshorne! I'm about to obtain a 4000 acre lease there. Bettah not find any whacked out mofo's there iz all ahm sayin!!!!

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Don't know where your lease will be but I can tell you that Latimer county is full of meth heads, have fun and don't be without a firearm when off the beaten path. Don't know so much about Pittsburg county though, seems most of the weirdos in Latimer are based in/around Wilburton.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of journalists but in this case the characterization of the dead guy as a hunter is correct. He was hunting deer. He may have been doing it illegaly which I suppose is poaching but poachers are hunters just not ones that do it within the law.

If the journalist used the term hunter in an effort to apply a bias to his report bad on him. I suspect though that as most journalist do he used the term to cover his rear end as the dead guy had not been convicted of any crime and using a perjorative term like poacher could have gotten him in hot water.

Just sayin'...:haay:

Latest posts

Top Bottom