Thoughts on 7mm08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Antelope are easy to kill quickly, assuming you can shoot well at the range you find your shot. The 7/08 would be a dandy! Wyoming has a variety of terrain, so long shots are not always the case. Distances are deceptive in country you are not familiar with. Try to use a good ranging tool if you have any doubt. Antelope tend to lend themselves great to spot and stalk, so having time to range fits well. Avoid using too light of a bullet and blowing up the meat. They are excellent on the grill! Lots of long range practice is important. Nothing over 600 meters should be necessary if you can stalk at all. Use the terrain, but be wary of sneaking up on a rattler. I know I said more than if the 7/08 is good. It is, provided you can shoot, but that is about true with anything. Antelope can be great fun, if you honor them with a little more than just jumping out of the pickup and blazing away!! Good luck!!

Edit: Avoid running shots! If they are running, they are moving a LOT faster than anything you've ever shot at, unless you're a fighter pilot! I've seen bunches of them killed when the guy doing the shooting was aiming at the one in front of the one he killed! :) Local common knowledge: Antelope can run on 3 legs a lot faster than other animals can run on 4 legs.

Last edited:

furlong222

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
the 7mm08 is a great all around caliber - good for most everything on this side of the world, except maybe the big bears and moose....but it would be ok with them if you didn't have anything bigger...

its a little hotter than the 7x57 and the old mauser cartridge has probably taken more game world wide than any other....

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like it so well I built a custom rifle around the ackley version of the round. Great bc bullets available great velocity even from a short barrel. Excellent medium size game cartridge. Enough energy for game up to elk at moderate ranges. I shot this coyote at 256 yds this am. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453059458.314567.jpg

And these does as well. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453059533.672314.jpg 365 and 412 yards respectively.

Antelope aren't that hard to put down. I have a friend in Wyoming that's killed dozens of them with a 6mm rem. if you shoot it well and pick a good controlled expansion bullet it will work well.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had one when they first came out in the early 1980's - very accurate and easy to load for. A friend bought one at the same time and his would load a little hotter than mine and was just as accurate. They both loved IMR 4064 powder - my friend moved on to a .270 and I moved on to a .280. Our rifles were the Remington 788 version - if they had been the 700 we probably would have kept them; we both wanted a little nicer rifle. They were effective on SE Oklahoma whitetails across the new clearcuts we hunted back then.

Cedar Creek

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I killed a sitting coyote at 408 yds with mine. Another member of this forum and his son where witnesses. I'll take lucky over good any day ! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454867418.507688.jpg those 140gn Barnes at 3110 fps sure drop them hard but tear the hell out of the pelts.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

Latest posts

Top Bottom