Thoughts on big name manufacturers vs lesser known names?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPB

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Most of the talk and recommendations about handguns on here involve the big name manufacturers like S&W, Ruger, Glock, etc. However, when I'm looking at guns in the stores, I see Charter Arms, Rossi, Hi-Point, etc. Obviously, people are buying these or they wouldn't be in business, but what's the difference in manufacturing that makes a company like S&W superior to Rossi? I hardly see any mention of the lesser known (or perceived to be lesser quality) names on here. What is it that would make someone trust a Glock over a Hi-Point?

Disclaimer: I'm not looking at buying a cheaper firearm. I'm just curious as to your thoughts on the quality and what makes you think that. I know some people just say something sucks because they heard it from someone else. For example, I have a friend who thinks all Rugers suck, and for the longest time, I believed him because I didn't know any better. However, after reading so many positive reviews on Rugers, I asked him why he said that. His response was, "I shot one about 10 years ago and didn't like it, but I don't remember why". Now I don't put much faith in what he has to say, so I'm looking for some of you that can respond based on experience.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Whats your life worth?? Would you rather trust it to a Rossi, or a SIG??

Do you by no-name food and other products or brands that you trust??

Granted a firearm is only as good as the person behind it, but it sure makes it easier if the firearm is a quality product!

milsurpman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Wow! What an excellent question! In my opinion price doesn't always mean quality. Notice I said always. However, that being said, you have to look at each manufacturers record in the industry. You don't win government, state and local police contracts by producing inferior weapons.
Lesser known and lesser quality are two completely different things. Rock Island Armory, for example, makes one hell of a decent, inexpensive 1911 but since it doesn't have Colt stamped on the side some shooters tend to turn their nose up to it. There will always be a market for cheap/inexpensive firearms. People buy them because of budgets, availability, ignorance, and even task specific purposes.
I'd by a Glock over a Hi-Point simply because thousands of policemen and soldiers can't be wrong.

JPB

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Granted a firearm is only as good as the person behind it, but it sure makes it easier if the firearm is a quality product!

I agree with your statement, but what makes a S&W better than a Rossi?

I know that S&W is well-known in the world of firearms, but just because it's a well-known name doesn't necessarily translate into a higher quality product?

There are companies in general out there today that have been around for many years and have been known for quality products, but some haven't been producing the same quality of product they used to and are making a living off their name vs the product.

man of many calibers

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perfect Example...
I love Rugers, but I bought a brand new ruger blackhawk revolver .45 and shot it twice and then the cylinder would jam up and would not shoot. Who would have ever thought that. A Ruger and a Revolver...suposed to be about the most dependable gun you could ever shoot.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its all about their history. Honestly its like a report card/background check to me. If someone has been producing quality firearms for generations I can assume they will continue to do so. Could S&W put out a revolver that is a total lemon? Yes, but their history means that no one would bet on it.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I agree with your statement, but what makes a S&W better than a Rossi?

I know that S&W is well-known in the world of firearms, but just because it's a well-known name doesn't necessarily translate into a higher quality product?

There are companies in general out there today that have been around for many years and have been known for quality products, but some haven't been producing the same quality of product they used to and are making a living off their name vs the product.

That is very true, and I won't argue with that. I will say why not start off with that quality name and if there is a problem, their quality service will usually fix the problem on their dime to include shipping, now there are some top brands that won't do that, or want to argue with you over it. To me that item will not be here for long. Granted not everyone can afford one of the top brands and have no other choice but to purchase less known or less quality firearms. Some folks get a good product that serves them well, but then again a larger majority by a problem.

I look at it from the stance of I may have to defend my life or the lives of my family with what I choose to have as a weapon/firearm. I plan on having the best I can afford.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is it that would make someone trust a Glock over a Hi-Point?

Design, metallurgy, machine work, finish, durability, availability of parts, and proven track record in competition.

Using softer metal in cheaper guns leads to lower initial cost, and facilitates cheaper machine work. Good way to save money, not so good if you want to shoot it much. And did you ever take a Hi-Point apart for cleaning??

berettaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is very true, and I won't argue with that. I will say why not start off with that quality name and if there is a problem, their quality service will usually fix the problem on their dime to include shipping, now there are some top brands that won't do that, or want to argue with you over it. To me that item will not be here for long.

Beretta has been around for 500 years and their customer service SUCKS.
(sorry to wreck your analogy):hey3:

Latest posts

Top Bottom