thoughts on passing down guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It just depends on the gun as far as sentimental value. Guns that were used in the field, that have memories attached to them are a different animal than a RG that gramps took in on trade for small engine repair 5 years before his death. Ive traded/sold inherited guns on the forum, but they were ones that everyone in the family agreed had no personal value.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a scare from a spot in my head detected by an MRI and my ex-wife and I were discussing the gun collection I had, My stepson asked if he could have some of them and I asked why just to see what he said and he stated "I would pawn them". I was considering leaving him and the other stepson a couple of guns each until then. Luckily the spot turned out to be nothing serious, But a couple of years later that little twirp stole 2 guns and sold them for drug money. That is why they are Ex's. My daughter gets all my guns for her and the grandkids when I go to that great shooting range in the sky!!

justinsaneok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I could get rid of a gun or anything. Someone who thought enough of me to give me something they cared about. I would want to remember them through the item they gave me. I won't be selling anything either so I have something to give my family to remember me. Sometimes I wonder how people end up with stuff they don't appreciate then I stop and just continue appreciate the things I have to appreciate. I don't need things to remember people. I told my dad his stuff is his and don't expect a thing. I would never get rid of anything that was given to me if I liked it or not. Simply because they wanted me to have it, and it was important to them. Sounds like some kids are needing arse whoopen from daddies before they get to old and their stuff goes in the pawn shop. Or just a lesson in respect.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep - same thoughts here. I've had health issues - kidney transplant & cancer surgery, but currently doing pretty well. I've already given a few things to my 25 year old son and designated others in the firearms inventory stored on our computer that are his and some that will go to my daughter. She is 23 and told me several years ago which guns she wanted because she knew they were the ones I used the most, even if they don't have much monetary value. Her husband is crazy about hunting and currently has my .280 Ruger and I told him when he was going to bring it back to hold onto it for a while. I need to sell some that don't have any emotional attachment or give them to one of my crew if they want it. If it's left to my wife they will all be sold by the pound.

:ooh2:

Cedar Creek

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will give you a simple synopsis of my opinion do with as you will:

You pass down things so they can be cherished and coveted how you did so, not to be sold or discarded like you could have done.

When it comes to the time where you have to think about "passing down" its a time to be giving and also selfish. You give to those who care like you care and withhold from those who could give a hoot.

that just me

OK Bowhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was lucky and have two shotguns, one from each of my granddads who are long since passed away. They are not worth alot, but I see them as family treasures and when I leave them behind it will be under the conditions that they never be sold, but passed to another family member that would want them. Hate to see something that graddad had thought alot about ending up in the pawnshop.

sigsilly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
North of the Red River, South of the Cimarron
I've given guns to family. Not a lot of them, but one here and there. They had to lust after it or they didn't get it.
The more they value the ones I gave them, the more they will get when I die.
I don't think they've figured that out. If they have, they'll have to buy what they want from the estate after I die.

mild bill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't hunt but I love old guns and have several, most of them I bought as sort of a secondary insurance policy for my wife who also loves old guns and had several when we married,most of them don't mean a lot to me except what they'll bring after I'm gone. I am leaving my Grandfathers' model 10 Remington 12 ga.my Dads' 32-20 army special which he bought used in 1935 and Mothers' Stevens 410 to my Son and he in turn will leave to his Son.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Forget the son(s)-in-law. Pass them down to your daughter(s). Tell them you'd like your grandchildren to have them someday. If that's not an option destroy them. Seriously, I'd rather burn an heirloom gun passed down from my father or grandfather than for it to be sold for iPad money by my son-in-law or by my wife in a garage sale.

Latest posts

Top Bottom