thoughts on passing down guns

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvrx4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My grandfather at one time had a very large collection of guns (one of the largest in the state). My aunt got a hold of a lot of them and kept them or sold them. I was lucky that my mother was able to scrounge a few up. Those will be my guns. I hope to pass on to my boys. My father at this time is very well off. I have told him in his will to take care of my stepmother and all I ask is for his guns as he and I hunt together a lot and that is truly all I want.

I have a great grandmother who was very wise. She left me some money but I was not able to get it until I was 30. I like this idea and will incorporate it into my will. My boys will get my guns and hopefully will understand how important they are to me. I have told my oldest who is only 11 that there are certain guns that can be traded and or sold and there are certain ones NEVER to be sold. This will be in my will also.

keensaber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several guns that were passed down from my Dad and a few that I purchased that have some sort of sentimental value. I have a log with the guns listed in it by nomenclature and serial number. The guns have a name by them. This name is the person who will get that gun when I die. Most of them will go to my son but I have several friends that will receive a gun if I pass. The rest are to be sold to help my wife out on expenses. Many guns I have spoken with my son about and tried to give him a history of the gun and why it is sentimental to me. Some of them are not worth more than maybe $100 others are worth thousands. If you don't feel comfortable giving them to a relative give them to a friend that will value the gun. If giving them to that friend will cause a bit of heartache then arrange to sell them for a minimal price prior to your passing. Make sure to put it in writing. Keep that with your gun and at the time of your death have your wife sell them the guns.

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My Dad's health is currently failing and his collection is basically my childhood, I grew up shooting with him... Every piece of that collection is not replaceable as far as I'm concerned. Having said this I would trade every bit of it for him to have even a measure of his health back. He had a stroke and can't articulate his thoughts anymore. Just be able to sit down with him and have a conversation would be worth everything.

EFsDad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, I missed this one, but Dad has bought almost 2 of every thing that he likes and one gets my initials and one gets my brothers. We have at least 6 matching guns that are in his safe. Usually he gets one that is his and then he buys my Mom one and that is how he justifies getting 2. Mom has no clue what she is shooting. Hell, she gets amazed at finding a new gun here or there that she then has to catalog and photograph.

My grandpa's guns got stolen from our house when I was in HS. I have only seen my Dad cry a handful of times and that was one of them. They got his grandpa's single shot .22 which was his pride an joy of his collection MAY THOSE BASTARDS ROT IN HELL /offrant

As far as passing them down, certainly you could find a deserving person out there somewhere that really likes shooting/hunting/collecting firearms. You don't have to give them away per say, but I got a hell of a deal on my first AR from a friend of my wife when her husband died. I won't ever get rid of that one. I won't ever get rid of any of my Dad's guns either. Find a deserving kid, friend or friends kid. They are out there and if your guns mean as much to you as mine do to me, you'll go find them!

May you live to a healthy 102!

ssgt ben

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my grandfather had old springfield or mauser that i practilly slobbered over every time we went there. anyway it disappeared and no one knows, he also had a 16 ga stotty that worked when it wanted to. younger brother has that none of my dads guns went to the older boys( because we wernt home at the time of passing, mom went first. But thats ok I love my brothers and each one will get something from me. i just wanna do right by them.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thats all my son has for him to inherit. He is into them & has a number of his own. When he was 11 & NObama was elected & the gun control thing was getting fired up he heard about this & his respose was "They won't get my guns I'll burry them 1st":ooh2: wonder where he got that from.

This year in school he had to think of 2 things he would keep if he had to let all the others go. His response to the teacher was his M1 Garand & his dog. She asked why & he told her so I can protect & feed my family & friends.:respect:

I think mine are in safe hands, he also told me not to sell the 30-30 handi rifle he killed his 1st deer with when I was thining the herd & going in a different direction of interest(I already thought of that one)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Thats all my son has for him to inherit. He is into them & has a number of his own. When he was 11 & NObama was elected & the gun control thing was getting fired up he heard about this & his respose was "They won't get my guns I'll burry them 1st":ooh2: wonder where he got that from.

This year in school he had to think of 2 things he would keep if he had to let all the others go. His response to the teacher was his M1 Garand & his dog. She asked why & he told her so I can protect & feed my family & friends.:respect:

I think mine are in safe hands, he also told me not to sell the 30-30 handi rifle he killed his 1st deer with when I was thining the herd & going in a different direction of interest(I already thought of that one)

That's awesome!

SwampPapa

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
when I buy a gun from an individual I try to get the story behind it. the one that comes to mind is the police positive that he inherited from his grandfather who had carried it as a constable in a small town in illinois. he was parting with it to finance his CCW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom