Thoughts on the SIG P238

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking into getting a SIG P238 for my wife as a purse carry. Has anyone had any experience with them. Are they accurate, how is the trigger pull, anyone have any reliability problems with them? I already know they had a recall for the slide safety but they seemed to be fixed now. My wife does not want a full sized auto because it is too bulky in her purse. She does not want to carry an LCP or LCR or a Smith J frame becasue she does not like the trigger and is afraid it will effect her accuracy any thoughts or other suggestions.

pbaumei

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a Glock. take her to the range, have her shoot the 26, 27, 30, 36, and see which one she likes better. then send her to a Frontsight training course. they are great with wives. I sent mine, now i'm confident she wont shoot me accidentally, and if she does on purpose, I wont suffer.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Buy a Glock. take her to the range, have her shoot the 26, 27, 30, 36, and see which one she likes better. then send her to a Frontsight training course. they are great with wives. I sent mine, now i'm confident she wont shoot me accidentally, and if she does on purpose, I wont suffer.

LOL...my wife and I are bot Law Enforcement Officers Commissiond in Oklahoma. I work for a city and she works for the state. She is more than proficent with a gun...She carries a Springfeild XD 40 when she is on duty and she has a glock 19 that sits in her nightstand. The only problem with those is that when she is not working she will not carry because those guns are too large for her to carry comfortably or concealed.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I honestly have no experience with the P238.

However, some of the comments make no sense. All of the guns in question are "get off me guns" Therefore if she is proficient as you say, then shooting a target within 10yds with a revolver or snubby should be NO problem whatsoever. The only reason I say this is that .380 is tough to find and therefore really tough to practice with.

okienate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you just want (or have) to carry a Sig, I'd say pass on it.

It is a wonderful looking, reasonably well designed piece, but after shooting one several times, I'm not impressed. It is no more accurate that the LCP, it is heavier and will be more expensive to repair/maintain in the long run. (It's a Sig, what would we expect, even Sig's break from time to time. Magazines, if you can find them, have been running well over $30 a pop, that is IF you can find them.)

If the little lady MUST have a small, .380, seriously consider the Ruger. It'll save you some bucks, it is lighter weight and mine has gone "bang" every time I pulled the trigger with another round smoothly in the pipe ready to go "bang" again.

Never really considered a .380 for more than a backup/second piece for carry, and second the notions above that a snubbie with a little more punch may be better for this application.

Nothing wrong with the P238 in my mind, just expensive to buy and maintain compared to other solid options out there. (Also, you may want to triple check the serial number before buying one, there is a recall in effect for some of the initial builds, this goes for the Ruger as well as the Sig.)

Good hunting.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife doesn't like my lcp or snubbie. I have tried to sell her on a snubbie and she won't go for it. I might be able to sell her on the new Ruger snubbie if she likes the trigger on it. My wife is too picky and I can't talk any sense into her. The only gun she likes so far is the p238. I would prefer something else for her but if she won't carry it it would be pointless of me to get it for her. Any gun is better than no gun.

omegis13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she's looking for a pocket gun in .380, have you guys tried the Micro Eagle? I really liked how it felt in my hand, though I did not have an opportunity to shoot it. Also, it has better sights than the LCP (not sure if that's important to you on a pocket gun or not), though they are still integrated into the slide like the LCP. Price was a hair bit more than the LCP, and due to the alloy frame, is slightly heavier, but not much. It is a bit smaller in length and height than the LCP, and the trigger guard extends all the way out to the end of the frame.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the LCP and the P238. I love both - but the Ruger is going to get 90% of the carry time. Extremely accurate for
its size and goes bang everytime. I would buy the Ruger and order $200 in ammo online

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the LCP and the P238. I love both - but the Ruger is going to get 90% of the carry time. Extremely accurate for
its size and goes bang everytime. I would buy the Ruger and order $200 in ammo online

Did you have reliability problems with the P238? Or did both perform equally well?

Latest posts

Top Bottom