Thoughts on the SIG P238

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally was able to take the 238 out last weekend. Straight out of the box - no cleaning or oil. It jammed every third shot. I contribute it
to very cheap ammo and lack of lubrication. I only shot 28 shots through it. I was maining out to sight in the deer rifle and
try my new 20 gauge. I'll get a better feel for it when I clean it and shoot ammo through it that I can
actually pronounce.

The LCP has never jammed with 350 rounds through it. But I did clean it before I took it out.

It is like a Glock and 1911 - Glocks just work - 1911's shoot better just need more love

Caseman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got two of them. Actually, I guess I just have one. The wife claimed the first one, hence the second one. The only issues have been magazine issues. Once the mags were replace they both have functioned flawlessly. One required the safety modification the other is post recall.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If she has a G19 try a G26.. or a M&Pc. I'd stay way from the 238 but that's just me.
My wife carry's the M&Pc 9mm and really likes it and we went though the Sig 229, Kahr 9 and PM9 to the M&Pc.

And just my 2c if you and your spouse have not had "outside" ( non LEO) training you ARE missing the boat!!!! Try some of the local training Co's www.oklahomashootingskills.com USSA or TDSA. never know what you might learn.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What about a Sig 239 (if she won't go for a G26)? Single stack, 9mm. It's a little bigger than the 238, but not too much. Find an older model and she'd be good to go. I'm not a big fan of newer Sigs.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Buy a Glock. take her to the range, have her shoot the 26, 27, 30, 36, and see which one she likes better. then send her to a Frontsight training course. they are great with wives. I sent mine, now i'm confident she wont shoot me accidentally, and if she does on purpose, I wont suffer.

Frontsight?
Did she get a free chiropractic exam with that?

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have her look at a P232. It is a good, reliable gun even though it is a single stack. If she has smallish hands she very well may love it. My Mother basically "stole" mine from me cause she like the way it felt in her hand. Guess I'll write that $500 off to seeing my MOM a bit happier.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Reviews of the 238 are very good. I considered one, but can't bite off on the locked and cocked idea in my pocket - and I'm not sure how well that's gonna work out in a purse in her case. I'd go the Crossbreed microclip route, but they don't make one for the 238 yet.

They're hard to find, but look at a Kahr P380. It's softer shooting than the LCP, has real sights, and is more accurate. I've had both, and there's no comparison. That's not a ding on the LCP as much as it's a nod to the Kahr.

That being said, what about a Kahr PM9 (or MK9)? Only a little bigger than an LCP or P380, and not as bulky than a G26. You can get either with night sights, and the Crossbreed microclip works with them.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't purse carry. Off-body carry in general is a bad idea for several reasons.

There are articles out there on methods of effective on-body concealment that accommodate a woman's physique and clothing and I encourage you to read them.

spd67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't purse carry. Off-body carry in general is a bad idea for several reasons.

There are articles out there on methods of effective on-body concealment that accommodate a woman's physique and clothing and I encourage you to read them.

You don't have to convince me...you have to convince my wife...and all I can say there is good luck buddy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom