Throw Away Puppy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Catahoula. You should not have any trouble giving it away if so.

I looked up the Catahoula on wikipedia just now, and I think you are right. I have seen this breed many times around here, but they are always called cow dogs. This is actually the state dog of Louisiana. A working breed.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sigh ... it IS a "him", right?? Want to venture a guess on the age? (I have 2 unneutered male, so the last thing I need is an unspayed female.)

Yes, ma'am. It is a little male. I am going to say 3 months old, maybe a week or two more. He is a fat and robust puppy.

Edit from wikipedia:

Another theory suggests that the breed originated three centuries later, some time in the 19th century, after French settlers introduced the Beauceron to the North American continent. The French told of strange-looking dogs with haunting glass eyes that were used by the Indians to hunt game in the swamp.,[3] and the theory states that the Beauceron and the Red Wolf/war dog were interbred to produce the Catahoula.

There are two theories regarding the origin of the word 'Catahoula.' One theory is that the word is a combination of two Choctaw words 'okhata', meaning lake, and 'hullo', meaning beloved. Another possibility is that the word is a French transformation of the Choctaw Indian word for their own nation, 'Couthaougoula' pronounced 'Coot-ha-oo-goo-la'.(Don Abney)

In 1979, Governor Edwin Edwards signed a bill making the Catahoula the official state dog of Louisiana in recognition of their importance in the history of the region.[4]

Last edited:

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me see what I can do. No promises. If you get a definite "I'll take him" take it.

OK, there is no hurry. I have always thought this was a funny looking type of dog, many farmers that raise cattle have them riding in the beds of their pickup trucks. But I never thought of them as a distinct breed until now. From what I read, this is a Native American dog domesticated by Choctaws. The proof should be in the webbing between the toes, as I read it.

Nice looking puppy!

Thanks. I'm going outside with the flashlight to make sure he is OK.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PM JT and tell him his niece wants the puppy you have.

JT? If he raises cattle he may want him. I just now bathed him. Odd. No ticks. No fleas. Very thick, short coat.

i.imgur.com_jXXCQNV.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom