to chemo or not to chemo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goathead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have cancer... I'm in remission now but there is no cure for my type of cancer I'm hoping to get 10 more years , I'm hoping to see my grand kids im 40 now , but as far as chemo it sucks THE BIG ONE, but keep fighting intill the end

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the sound of this. Why isnt it being used more often?
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/276966.php

Because the medical industry won't make enough money from that procedure.

Color me cynical but after watching last weeks 60 Minutes report on the high prices of cancer drugs,,,
I have no problem believing the conspiracy theories of low cost cures being held back.

The AMA and the big pharmaceutical companies are evil to their core!

Aarond

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the medical industry won't make enough money from that procedure.

Color me cynical but after watching last weeks 60 Minutes report on the high prices of cancer drugs,,,
I have no problem believing the conspiracy theories of low cost cures being held back.

The AMA and the big pharmaceutical companies are evil to their core!

Aarond

I have to agree. Anyone who may have already found a cure is dead, never to be seen or heard from again.

OKSpeedDemon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the prognosis? What side effects did you have and how bad were they?

The prognosis is good, I see my Dr. on the 4th to see what the next step is going to be. It'll probably surgery to remove what is left of the mass. I had a mass about 7-8 mm long under my jaw line back to below my ear on the side of my neck, so all my radiation was to the face and neck area. The mass is basically gone now. I have lost 70lbs since June 12. I had my tonsils removed on June 12th and some teeth removed and had acute pancreatic and than started chemo and radiation. So I have been loosing the weight for some time. I was told that all my side effects where temporary and I everything would return to normal 4 weeks to 6 months after treatment ends. I must say that 90% of going through treatment is to have a good support group behind you and have a positive mental outlook on the situation.

Side effects of radiation - loss of taste, loss of saliva (dry mouth), loss of voice, fatigue, radiation burns to neck, nausea, hair loss in the back of head where I received the radiation, sore throat to the point where I can't eat food.

Side effects of chemo (drug was Cisplatin) - loss of weight, ears ringing, vomiting, fatigue, problems pissing (just feels like I need push harder to empty bladder, not sure if it's a kidney issue). tingling in fingers and feels like my skin is crawling, fatigue.

I'm sure there are more I just can't recall them at this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisplatin#Side_effects

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The prognosis is good, I see my Dr. on the 4th to see what the next step is going to be. It'll probably surgery to remove what is left of the mass. I had a mass about 7-8 mm long under my jaw line back to below my ear on the side of my neck, so all my radiation was to the face and neck area. The mass is basically gone now. I have lost 70lbs since June 12. I had my tonsils removed on June 12th and some teeth removed and had acute pancreatic and than started chemo and radiation. So I have been loosing the weight for some time. I was told that all my side effects where temporary and I everything would return to normal 4 weeks to 6 months after treatment ends. I must say that 90% of going through treatment is to have a good support group behind you and have a positive mental outlook on the situation.

Side effects of radiation - loss of taste, loss of saliva (dry mouth), loss of voice, fatigue, radiation burns to neck, nausea, hair loss in the back of head where I received the radiation, sore throat to the point where I can't eat food.

Side effects of chemo (drug was Cisplatin) - loss of weight, ears ringing, vomiting, fatigue, problems pissing (just feels like I need push harder to empty bladder, not sure if it's a kidney issue). tingling in fingers and feels like my skin is crawling, fatigue.

Hang in there speed demon. Will say a prayer for you and your family. We hope it all works out.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes I know. They all have some side effects though and I bet most are unpleasant at best.

Not all of them..........but it's not worth taking one that won't treat your cancer because it has minimal side effects.

Good to hear you're on the mend and prognosis is good. My dad took both radiation and chemo, radiation kicked his tail, the chemo was a non issue with him......seems that everyone's a little different.

Latest posts

Top Bottom