Today's smoking experiment - pastrami!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wasn't aware myself of it until I started researching, but pastrami is essentially just rubbed and smoked corned beef. So... since I love them both, I decided to figure out how to do it.

So I got a Choice brisket at my local meat shop and had them trim it to 1/8" or so of fat cap. This is just the flat, not the point. If you're doing corned beef (aka boiled), then you want as little fat as possible, since it's gonna get all gummy and gooey. Boiled fat ain't yummy. SMOKED fat, however, is a whole different story. :D Hence, if you're smoking it, leaving some of the fat on.

Made up a special brine to "corn" the brisket. Cut into two pieces to be more manageable. Brined in the fridge for 5 days and nights, then removed and soaked in plain water to remove some of the salt - another step you skip if just making corned beef, as the salt will come out in the boiling process. When smoking you need to "debrine" it overnight or so, to cut down on the saltiness.

Then rubbed with a rub based with pepper and coriander, but alot of other stuff, too. Would have like to let this set a couple of days, but oh well. Time for the smoker. Temp's at 163 right now, internal.

Here's some pr0n for ya's!

Curing:
i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151223_235055_zpshsohiwnt.jpg

Ready for debrining:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151223_235420_zpsorzwlabg.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151223_235440_zps8v4e8myp.jpg

In the water:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151224_065622_zpskqqrs8ct.jpg

The rub - the red on top is just a touch of chipotle I added in at the last minute:

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151224_082517_zpscrplnnti.jpg

Ready to go!

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151224_083823_zps7z6yz9ps.jpg

Rubbed and in the smoker!
i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_Pastrami_20day_20151224_084832_zps8xwqq206.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I did a ham... already spiral sliced, which I don't care for. Was hoping to cook it all the way myself, but they didn't have any cured hams that were uncooked. So I smoked it open for an hour or so, then wrapped it for an hour or two, then added a glaze I made from apricot preserves, agave nectar, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chipotle chile powder, brown sugar, dijon mustard, Worcestershire, soy, cinnamon, pepper, sage and ground cloves, wrapped it tight and let it steam an hour or so.

Came out absolutely - AMAZING.

Pics in a few...

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pellet.

Just pulled the first one off, wrapped it and letting it rest. About to pull the 2nd, I'll grab some pics of that one. Smells incredible.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah... sorry. It's been resting in the cambro, went with the family to the Christmas Eve service. I'll see if can get some pics up, but oh dang it smelled good in this house when we walked back in the door! lol

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well... that was a huge disappointment.

Not sure what I did wrong, but that was seriously NOT tender pastrami.

Pulled the two briskets off at 210 and 207 respectively, total cook was just about 8 hours for one and just over 8 or 8 1/2 for the other. Wrapped tight in foil and kept in a cambro for... about 3 hours. Still very warm and juicy when I pulled them out.

However...

Tough
Oversalty (needed more soak time)
One had a VERY thin strip in the center that wasn't cured - like 2-3mm. No big deal. 7 days next time instead of 5.
Too salty - overnight wasn't quite enough to pull out enough salt. Next time, 24 hours debrining.
Too heavy on the rub - too much pepper. Easy fix.
Tough.

And did I mention tough?

I dunno, it wasn't jerky, but it wasn't soft and tender, either. Dang. I am pretty disappointed in myself. Guess maybe I shoulda wrapped them instead of gone full smoke all the way? Was supposed to be a Choice cut, so who knows. All I know is I learned some lessons, and next time (if I try this again) I will probably do some things differently. <sigh>

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20151224_195256_zpspu6zdfhd.jpg

i236.photobucket.com_albums_ff121_tRdoc_20151224_195803_zpsoktw22iy.jpg

Very few times have I been totally disappointed in something I smoked. Seldom have I wanted to throw it in the trash. Today was one of those days. If I coulda sliced it ultra-thin, maybe it would have seemed more tender. On a sandwich with rye bread, Grey Poupon and Swiss cheese it was better, but nothing like I was hoping for. I'd trade every ounce of what I cooked for a coupla Firehouse Subs New York Steamers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom