Whatcha got cookin' for Christmas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
So we've got some guests in, so I get to play with my smoker(s) a bit.

Last week on Monday I did a pork butt on Monday for our small group from church.

On Wed night I put in 6 pork butts for the teachers at my son's school - about 55 lbs, one of my biggest cooks. I put 4 in my Yoder, then 2 in my Traeger... after a few minutes, I realized the Traeger wasn't working. So I pulled them out and squeezed them in my Yoder. So I now know I can do 6 pork butts in my Yoder, squeezed tightly in there. It was a little hectic, they cooked a LOT faster than I anticipated (well, 4 of the 6) and ended up having to have The Wife hold 4 of them in the oven all day, then 2 more cooked a few more hours and held in the Yoder until time for the teachers' dinner.

Then Saturday evening I did 3 racks of St. Louis ribs, altered my method slightly, I think they really came out fabulous - they may have been the best I've ever done. Honestly, I was super pleased with them, but I think I'm going back to baby back ribs (WM was out of them on Sat) just because I don't like the fattiness of the STLs in between the layers of meat at the end.

Today....

Today I have a couple of corned beef I soaked yesterday (yeah, they were store bought, I didn't cure my own this time) and rubbed last night, drying in the fridge at the moment and will be going on the smoker this afternoon for one of my all-time favorites - HOMEMADE PASTRAMI!!! W00T! Man, if you haven't done this, it is sooooooo gooooooood. Fresh, hot off the smoker, you cannot beat it. Storebought s**t has NOTHING on this stuff. If you haven't - you gotta. Just DOOOOO EEEEEET.

Then tomorrow for Christmas, I am trying a new turkey method. Gonna spatchcock it today, rub oil and some herbs under the skin, then put it on the smoker on a bed of fresh herbs - I got some basil, sage, thyme, bay leaves (yes, fresh(ish) ones), rosemary, some tiny onions, green onions and leeks, some parsley. Anyways, that bed of all those aromatics is supposed to make for a really nice flavor permeating through the bird. We'll see how it comes out. I got the idea from the forum at Amazing Ribs, several guys did it and it looked great, so I'ma try it out. :D

So anyways... what ya'll doing today/tomorrow???

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We took the easy way this year!!! Turkey and all the "extras" were ordered at UpTown Grocery and we pick them up today. My wife doesn't want a smoked turkey this year soooo a "Plain-Jane" turkey it will be.

But...

Either before or after we pick up the turkey & extras we're runnin' to the South side of OKC.

Gotta get a couple of bowls of menudo, with buche'...lingua...and barbacoa tacos...3 of each. And....some mole(Mo-lay) chicken and rice....dozen beef tamales.

Put this in the freezer and slowly enjoy it the whole week.....plus a few Corona Extra!!!

Feliz Navidad Y Feliz Ano Nuevo
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year
nocovernightclubs.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_11_Las_Vegas_New_Years.jpg

dancer4life

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife is cooking Prime Rib, vegetables, salad and baking for our Christmas Eve dinner tonight.

Then off to my Mom's house in Broken Arrow tomorrow.
She is cooking:
Honey Country Ham, Mashed potatoes, Gravy, Corn Fritter Casserole, Green Beans, Stuffing,
Pecan Pie, Lemon Pie and German Chocolate cake.

k4ylr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tri-Tip for a family birthday eariler this week:

8nErH3C.png

Dry-Brined Corned Beef for snacking:

NkRT1Ak.png

Dutch Baby for breakfast:

eWMXu4D.png

This wee prime rib for dinner on Christmas Day:

etPOqtN.png

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ours is pretty simple. Family tradition on Christmas is Chicken and dumplings. Kids, grandkids & great grandkids always want it. Of course, you have to have a lot of finger food, Christmas goodies and ham and hot rolls for sandwiches with it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I have a couple of corned beef I soaked yesterday (yeah, they were store bought, I didn't cure my own this time) and rubbed last night, drying in the fridge at the moment and will be going on the smoker this afternoon for one of my all-time favorites - HOMEMADE PASTRAMI!!! W00T! Man, if you haven't done this, it is sooooooo gooooooood. Fresh, hot off the smoker, you cannot beat it. Storebought s**t has NOTHING on this stuff. If you haven't - you gotta. Just DOOOOO EEEEEET.

Then tomorrow for Christmas, I am trying a new turkey method. Gonna spatchcock it today, rub oil and some herbs under the skin, then put it on the smoker on a bed of fresh herbs - I got some basil, sage, thyme, bay leaves (yes, fresh(ish) ones), rosemary, some tiny onions, green onions and leeks, some parsley. Anyways, that bed of all those aromatics is supposed to make for a really nice flavor permeating through the bird. We'll see how it comes out. I got the idea from the forum at Amazing Ribs, several guys did it and it looked great, so I'ma try it out. :D

So anyways... what ya'll doing today/tomorrow???

+1 on the Pastrami! I've done a couple of the corned beef briskets now and they are great!

I'm doing a version of Madd Maxx's Turkey on the BGE. Last one was just plain old smoked and got rave reviews so I'm "dressing it up" a little today. Smoking on apple wood and good 'ole lump charcoal.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just the wife and I this year so a roast turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, deviled eggs, fresh baked low carb bread and a low carb chocolate cake I am experimenting with.

I see lots of leftovers in our future, especially since we were expecting more people and it is a 19 lb turkey. Oh well, I can always portion it and freeze a lot of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom