Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - During Hurricane Sandy ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Ive been to DC a bunch. The changing of the guard, and the Viet Nam Memorial brought tears. I found my uncles name and 2 of my Dads buds. I'll go back again.

As for mandatory service, i say no. We're not that kinda country. A draft during a congressionly declared war, yes with indefinate time.

Yall keep talkin about this stuff and ill forget how much i hated being in, lol.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The following is a snipit from an IM conversation I had on this very subject today. Some people simply do not get it. And they vote...

Yeah...like 80+ mile an hour winds, pounding rain and flooding. I just can't imagine how a mother would explain "daddy's not coming home" because someone thought it was more important for him to march in a hurricane than to get out of the rain and be with his family. Seriously...cannot wrap my head around the "honor" part of something that seems to me to be so ridiculous.
And the fact that people seem to be so caught up in emotional patriotism of it all...even my friends who are like-minded politically with me...I just do not understand.
Don't get me wrong...it isn't that I wouldn't LIKE to understand...because I really would like to "get it"...I just don't. In your spare time - ha - feel free to try to explain it to me.

In the example your friend gave, they mentioned "daddy" as if to say the soldier had a family and a child. In the case of volunteering for the duty of guarding the tomb, in your opinion is this soldier's duty to his family greater, or is his duty to country greater?

Not trying to start anything, just honestly curious.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in Reston and Fairfax for a while and never thought to visit the cemetery. I did spend lots of time in the Smithsonian though.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should the guards stick around if there's a hurricane hitting the tomb?

What about a tornado? Hail? 10 feet of flood water?

Just trying to make sure I understand the breadth of OSA's views here.

We already know what they do. That wasn't the question.

If you have to ask the question, it means you'll never understand.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't you reply to it?

I did reply, but I'm not sure if my answer was the answer to your question or not?

Should the guards stick around if there's a hurricane hitting the tomb?

What about a tornado? Hail? 10 feet of flood water?

Just trying to make sure I understand the breadth of OSA's views here.

It appears that they WANT to.

Should doesn't even enter into the equation.

I believe the breadth of OSA's views is pretty much that we are in awe and respect of these fine soldiers and the dedication they exhibit.

Perhaps you could make your position on your own question known? Do you believe they Should stick around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom