Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - During Hurricane Sandy ...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The following is a snipit from an IM conversation I had on this very subject today. Some people simply do not get it. And they vote...

Yeah...like 80+ mile an hour winds, pounding rain and flooding. I just can't imagine how a mother would explain "daddy's not coming home" because someone thought it was more important for him to march in a hurricane than to get out of the rain and be with his family. Seriously...cannot wrap my head around the "honor" part of something that seems to me to be so ridiculous.
And the fact that people seem to be so caught up in emotional patriotism of it all...even my friends who are like-minded politically with me...I just do not understand.
Don't get me wrong...it isn't that I wouldn't LIKE to understand...because I really would like to "get it"...I just don't. In your spare time - ha - feel free to try to explain it to me.

Unbelievable!!!!! Some people are hopeless. Ya cant fix STUPID!!!!!!

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i was there in 1977. we watched the changing of the guard. i was only 11 years old at the time and it may be the only thing that i could recount minute by minute of our trip...

Same here. Like it was yesterday. I can still hear the taps on the shoes.

Ok. It was going to get real ugly.

No worries there, Dennis. Hopefully you wouldn't think I would ever say that guarding the Tomb was "ridiculous" as my libtard acquaintance so ineloquently stated. The dude typing this TOTALLY understands why the Tomb is guarded with such honor.

justanotherpatriot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I sincerely believe 2 years of military service should be mandatory for everyone.

Although I have never had the privilege of serving, I am in 100% agreement. That would fix so much with our country. Men and women. I ascribe to the author of Starship Troopers in that to vote you had to be a citizen, to be a citizen you had to spend x years in the military. It was not mandatory to be in the military but if you opted out you were classified as a civilian and could hold no public office or vote.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As the Tomb has been under continuous guard since 02JUL1937, I am sure the Guard stays to honor the tradition. I damn sure would NOT want to be the guy who quit my post because it was "uncomfortable". They obviously do have contingency plans for WX and threats but reportedly have never been ordered from their posts, even during hurricanes.

"Post and orders remain as directed."

"Orders acknowledged."

May it always continue.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should the guards stick around if there's a hurricane hitting the tomb?

What about a tornado? Hail? 10 feet of flood water?

Just trying to make sure I understand the breadth of OSA's views here.

Its totally their choice. There are no directives for them to stay there.

Its called dedication to duty.

rr2008

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
there is an interesting article on kjrh's web site regarding tomb guard's. They have access to an awning covered enclosure called "the box" that is near the tomb that guard's may use. Article and other information leads me to think that when the cemetery is closed to the public the guard's are in combat uniforms and may not continue the 21 step march. There is also mention that if weather should become intolerable that a room inside a nearby amphitheater may be used for the purpose of keeping the tomb guarded.

I have respect for these soldiers on this duty, and hope someday to have an opportunity to visit DC. Arlington and the changing of the guard is number one on the list of things to see there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not me. I understand the sentiment...but I'm glad I served with people who wanted to be there and made the concious decision to serve. Serving is a privilege that can earn a badge of honor. That badge has a shine that should not be diminished by reducing it to just another mandatory, common, mandate like high school.

I was called onto the carpet more than once for ever-so-gently reminding some young punk that he volunteered for the job...I can only imagine what would've happened if I ran into some little ***** who whined about being forced to serve.

The guys who guard that tomb epitomize, and embody, the volunteer spirit of our armed forces...no need to change a thing.

As probably the only person on this board that got drafted into the Army, (BTW I volunteered for a 3 year commitment the day after getting my 2 year draft notice)I can probably
Say SMS is correct about this. The Volunteer Military service has many less whiners and complainers than draftee's did in my day.

It was a terrible time to be in the military in the late 60's, early 70's. Public opinion had every veteran labled as baby killers, no matter if you sat at a desk in Kansas.

Drug testing was not around so drug use was rampant. I hated the druggies worse than the enemy when going on patrol. Our lives depended on everybody being in a sober state of mind, but they didn't care. Their personal high was more important. American lives were lost because of these people.
Selfish bastards. Now you all know my opposition to legalizing drugs.

We buried my Uncle this weekend. Korean war Veteran. He was commander of the local VFW for many years. I was handling it pretty well until the honor guard played taps. Not so well afterward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom