Took advantage of "cold" front

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With the little "cold" front coming through here late Friday, figured I'd take advantage of it and get some stuff done in the great outdoors before I go on call tomorrow. Yesterday, the wife helped chaperone a youth trip to OKC, so the kids and I went to work on the new deer hunting place. Got some supplies hauled in and built a "pallet blind" at one spot overlooking a creek that sits between two wheat fields. It's not much, but should work temporarily until we see how the new place works out...
20160820_114625.jpg
20160820_105920.jpg

This morning, I went out and made a couple of stands on Black Kettle. First stand, got to watch a couple of bucks feeding together 200-300 yards out while I was calling, then about 6 minutes into stand, I thought I could hear hog grunts. Knew I saw what looked like hog tracks while walking in, so that got me amped up a little. Waited towards the end of the stand and played some baby pig distress, and sure enough a good size black hog came out of the brush about where the bucks had been 10 minutes prior; it made a quick appearance and disappearance, so no shot opportunity. Went and trailed them a little ways, but no dice. Second stand, went to a big draw where they had just went through shredding the underbrush like a clearcut. About 18-19 minutes in, was kinda in daydream mode and a out to call it quits, had the sound muted after playing pup screams, when one barks loudly on other side of draw. I could tell he was close but couldn't spot him. Turned pup screams back on, and it came in at mach 2. Went down into bottom, then turned and was going back out when I barked him stopped and dropped him with the 22-250. Switched to pup 3 like normal after a shot, and after a minute or two, I turned off remote, figuring after one 20 minute kill that was that. Right before I stood up, I see another one pop over the ridge the first one came over. Finally got it coaxed down into the clearing, after playing peek a boo with it for a few minutes, and pulled the shot right! It got away, I swear my nerves get worse the first couple of coyotes every season than they did with my 150" buck last year...at least I didn't get buck fever on it until AFTER I shot ;)
20160821_091102.jpg

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, Black Kettle is one of the state WMA's. It is pretty open though (like everything else out here), so bowhunting is probably a little harder that the stuff on the east side of the state. I bowhunt a little, but have only had success twice thus far...pretty hard hunting when you have to sit on their level and try to draw...crossbow would probably be a lot easier though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom