Took the plunge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
and went the way of the plastic. I picked up a used Taurus 709 Slim for 300 bucks. It might be a week or two before I get a chance to shoot it, but when I do, we will see if it goes on my hip or if I stick with my trusty Smith snubbie.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, I got to go shooting yesterday. I shot the 709 Slim starting with some older Speer Gold-Dots which is what I normally carry. Fired two shots and had an FTF but this gun is so light, I figure it just took me a minute to get the right grip on it because the rest (another 20 or so rounds) fed just fine. I was sort of all over the paper at first. It took me a few minutes to figure out that you want to rest the sights smack dab in the middle of the target as compared to my snubbie which wants you to rest the bottom of the target on top of the sights. Once I figured that out and got my grip right, I was getting around 3-4 inch groups at 10 yds. I fired an old box of 115gr. Wolf ammo I had sitting on a shelf for a couple years and I had a couple light primer strikes which gave me the opportunity to try out this "second strike" thingamijiggy. So I just re-pulled the trigger and "POW". works pretty good. I'm writing off the light primer strikes to the ammo, Wolf is pretty cheap and I've had that happen before with their stuff.
It's not my Smith snubbie, (which I have ALOT more experience with) but with a little more practice and getting used to the trigger pull, I think I'll be happy with my new plastic.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shot some more today. I jacked around with the sights a bit and took it back out to make sure they were on. I shot 100+ rnds. including some Hornady XTP 115gr. which I'm carrying now because apparently EVERYBODY in the metro is sold out of Gold-Dots. It fed that and the 100 rnds. of Remington 115gr. ball like a champ. Not a single problem or FTF. I LIKE THIS GUN! The ONLY complaint I have about it is the shortness of the grip. I heard some rumors about +2 magazines or that Taurus would start putting pinky extensions on them. Anybody know for sure?

Latest posts

Top Bottom