Tornado disaster assistance - what should volunteers do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone know of an organization we can contact or person who knows some of the immediate needs in the affected areas? I know Shawnee is still cleaning up and going through their disaster-recovery, but Moore seems to have a pretty great need.

I was thinking of just going to the local Wal-Mart and buying all the bottled water they had and hauling it over there, but I thought I'd ask to see if there is something specific that I could do/bring/provide.

Anyone know?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Anyone know of an organization we can contact or person who knows some of the immediate needs in the affected areas? I know Shawnee is still cleaning up and going through their disaster-recovery, but Moore seems to have a pretty great need.

I was thinking of just going to the local Wal-Mart and buying all the bottled water they had and hauling it over there, but I thought I'd ask to see if there is something specific that I could do/bring/provide.

Anyone know?

I am literally broke and unable to help moneywise, but if anyone needs a strong back to ride along and help load or offload stuff, count me in please.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a small pickup and can buy locally and bring stuff like extension cords, bottled water, shovels, flashlights/batteries, etc. but I don't want to make the trip over there only to realize that I'm crowding/clogging things up or that I should have picked up some supplies before I left because they don't have any locally.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I just spoke to a few folks and I guess they have volunteers covered over that way and are trying to avoid exactly what I was afraid of - crowding/clogging up all the roadways, etc.

Red cross' Facebook page says:

The best way for everyone to help the Red Cross is to make a monitary donation. Please call 1800-RedCross, go to www.redcross.org/okc or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation from your mobile device. If you want to volunteer please call our chapter at 405-228-9500. Thank you!

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
beat me to it EZBAKE

The Red Cross is there, they know what to do. Make a donation NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That $560k that Trace Adkins just raised for them will be wiped out quit.

Glenn Beck is taking donations through Mercury One and 100% of your donation will go to the Shawnee, OKC, Edmond, Moore area.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My church in Edmond is collecting and organizing. My recommendation is to give money to a local church that is collecting for disaster relief. Giving to large national/international charities may not get the results that you intend. Others may disagree.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook.

The Jenks Police and Fire Departments are accepting donations for the Moore Tornado victims. Please bring your donations to the Jenks Police Department located at 211 North Elm St. Water, blankets, non perishable food, batteries, dog food, flashlights, diapers, baby formula, aspirin, bandages, baby food, tents, feminine products, soap, toothbrushes, deodorant, underwear, socks or anything else you think might be useful.

These will be placed in a trailer and distributed to the tornado victims. Thank you for your support! If you need more information, their number is 918-299-6311.

Latest posts

Top Bottom