Tough decision. Its going to cause some issues.......Ford or Chevy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GM's quality is really suffering. Last Silverado I had was a 2010 1/2 ton 4X4 Z-71 with the 5.3. All kinds of problems mechanically with it. it drank oil, fouled plugs, had rattles in the cab, problems with emissions equipment . . . on and on. was in Chevrolet dealership repair at least 9 times. It was bought new with 6 miles on it, and put 36,000 miles on it.

Was a Chevy guy all my live. drove Silverado's and cheyennes from age 16 to age 39. never even test drove a Ford until this year. had 1/2 tons, 3/4 tons, gas, diesel - all 4X4. some used, several new. though they were the best of the best.

Then I drove a ford F-250, gas, fx4 lariat in 4x4 - traded my GM in and will most likely never look back.

This F-250 is the best truck I've ever owned hands down.

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always been a Chevy guy, but I drive a Nissan. Go figure. I do REALLY like the new F-150 FX4's, and would probably buy an ecoboost FX4 if I could actually afford one. My pops 01 z71 has had a fuel pump replacement, and somehow broke a steering box. That's been it, and he's approaching 160k miles.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Ford has taken government loans:

Although Ford did not need money from the $80 billion bailout program, Ford did receive $5.9 billion in government loans in 2009 to retool its manufacturing plants to produce more fuel-efficient cars, and the company lobbied for and benefited from the cash-for-clunkers program - contrary to the ad’s testimonial that Ford is “standing on their own.”

jwv

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well I have a 2005 GMC 1500 crew cab which is a cousin to a chevy. This will be my last GM product, nothing but a money pit. I have replaced more high dollar parts on that truck then any I have ever owned. Parts like Knock Sensors, Instrument clusters, rear axle and front axle oil seals, Blend door motors, the list goes on and on.My son has a 1997 F-150 XLT thats a 4x4. He can drive it thru the deep snow or mud and it has only had the routine maintenance stuff done and it still is going strong at 200.000 miles. I guess he got the good one.I have driven GM for years but this is my last one.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You guys go price the top end (luxury package) 3/4 & 1 ton trucks and you'll see why Ford didn't need a bailout.
jes sayin'

When I was shopping for diesels in 2003, the highest price GM was about $7k higher than the Fords, and about $12k higher than the Dodges. Ford is about $8k-10k higher than a loaded GM now from what I can tell. GM was higher before the bail out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom