Trade G27?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a few guns with no controls on them (Kahr K9, G19, used to own an M&P 9c, etc...). I've carried a sig P6 and a CZ P-01 with a decocker and no safety (so basically D/A first pull is your only safety).

I've carried 1911s and S&W 3rd gens with safeties "locked and cocked".

The difference is what you're used to. If you can effectively draw your weapon and defeat the manual mechanical safety, then by all means... do so.

If you can draw your weapon effectively and remember that your first trigger pull is Double Action and much stiffer/longer than the follow-up single action trigger pulls... do so.

If you have enough discipline to carry a gun with no mechanical manual safety, then do so.

Here's the deal - don't confuse any of the above (I'd actually advise against carrying different types of the above categories unless you're sure which gun you have and can remember what to do differently each time).

The glock has a firing pin block safety, so its not going to go off when dropped. Its got the "double-trigger" so the trigger isn't going to fall back accidentally unless you pull it with your finger (or something goes up against it should it not be in a holster/case). That's the key - I wouldn't store any gun regardless of safeties, or action type (and regardless of it being loaded or not) without it being in at least a soft case or good holster.

But I understand some folks still don't feel comfortable with a lack of a manual safety (even though I don't agree with it, I understand it).

I would advise against carrying with an empty chamber. That requires quite a bit more effort before a shot can be made and if you're primary purpose for carry is self-defense, then you don't really want to have to take the time to rack the slide if you have to pull it under pressure.

The M&P and XD both offer manual safeties (I think the XD Compact does, not sure) and are proven weapons. If you're comfortable carrying one, then I would train well in the act of defeating the safety in the appropriate way and stick with just that method of carry.

Another option is to go with a DAO gun that has a stiff trigger pull - that works for a lot of folks who have that same fear of A/D (or N/D). A Smith J-Frame is a good option in this case and is very light.

Whatever you get - practice and train with it enough that you draw and present with enough experience that you don't have to stop and think about what you're doing (that's the danger in folks who go from a no-manual-safety gun to a gun with a safety - you have to remember to defeat the safety in a timely manner under pressure, or you could get killed).

I won't knock Taurus, but I wouldn't get a Millennium for carry. The 24/7 has proven itself to some degree, but the compact models of 24/7 are new enough that I don't even know that I would get one for a year or so until others have put them to the test. The Millennium's have a bad reputation and everyone I've ever known who had one had at least 5 malfunctions when shooting them through the few hundred rounds that the average shooter fires a gun - that's entirely too many.

Your Glock is extremely reliable, I wouldn't step down from what you have.

Just my Opinion.

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry it in a good pocket holster and don’t carry anything else in that pocket.
ever.
With a round the chamber you'll be just fine.. ( I've done this for 14 years or so)
And look at how many guys carry a sunby this way! there's no safty on it..

All that other stuff just defeats the reason you carry in the first place..

And go get some professional firearm training that will give you the experience you need.

Just remember that your "safty" is your finger Keep it out of the triger gaurd till your sights are on target and you have decied to shoot!!!!!!

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's somebody that installs thumb safeties on glocks. Don't know the name. Also the after market trigger with a little button on it that locks the trigger safety in place thus not allowing the trigger to move till you press the button. And the afore mentioned block behind the trigger you pop out of he way to fire.

chuckels59h

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been carrying an xd sub for almost two years inside an mtac minotaur and it is as safe as not having one chambered. A good prosecuting attorney with eat you on having time to rack a round. They make it seem, you had time to evade if you had time to draw and rack a round. IMO. Any LEO's that carry without a chambered round in they're service are wellcome to pipe in. If you can't trust the gun chambered you shouldn't carry it.
The only time I freaked out was dropping the gun, my fault, had it tucked under my arms inside a jacket, and it slipped out, fell three feet, hit the concrete on the back of the slide, DIDN'T even knick it, hard enough to bend the take down lever, with a round chambered, and it didn't discharge. After replacing the lever, I knew I trusted it. Of course it wasn't a coffee table lol.
But I watched in slow motion and was waiting for the bang....thankfully it didn't.

ftcobblake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be intersted in buying your G27 if you feel like its too dangerous to be a ccw. The G27 is a good ccw but as with all concealed carry weapons it is a tripod system. Mindset, weapon and holster. All three are paramount. All must be of sound quality and well designed and let us not forget proper training. Good luck on whatever you do.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The good ol' revolver is not dead, ya know. :anyone:

Of course, that is if you can get over that stigma that everybody has about it only holding 5 or 6 shots instead of 15 or 16. :rolleyes2

I could get into a talk about how more rounds could really cost you your ass, but I won't. :blahblah:

Sometimes...less is more. ;)

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shooting USA did a segment a few weeks back, on a push button trigger safety that you can install on the Glock's trigger.

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h196_onexco_Gun_20Collection_Glock36_SliderLock_Small.jpg

http://www.shootingusa.com/SIGHTING_IN_SHOWS/28-17_Bianchi_Cup_Media/28-17_bianchi_cup_media.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom