Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got 3 cameras running this weekend and will get more out in a couple of weeks. A lot of nice looking bucks!!

After taking a doe only last year and processing it myself, I don't know if it was the doe or the way I processed it but I've taken my last buck. There was no gamey taste to this doe.

JRR

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hung this 40gal feeder and forgot about it. Remembered in March and checked on it. How does a racoon rip metal sheeting screwed thru the plastic lid?

Attachments

• IMG_2196.JPG
    IMG_2196.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2195.JPG
    IMG_2195.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 0

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hung this 40gal feeder and forgot about it. Remembered in March and checked on it. How does a racoon rip metal sheeting screwed thru the plastic lid?
Ironic that I just checked one of mine that's been out a month or so and had a chew mark all the way through. Granted it wasn't sheet metal so your coons got my coons beat!

SimsonSuhl7x65R

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
View attachment 294756
This was 9 June (two months ago); compare to the Best buck photo above. It is amazing how fast things grown in Oklahoma! My next trip to Oklahoma (October) will entail weed-eating and spraying Round-up on the stuff that grows tall enough to wave in the wind and trip the camera.
Especially with how little rain we’ve had in most areas!

KroyWen

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 294756
This was 9 June (two months ago); compare to the Best buck photo above. It is amazing how fast things grown in Oklahoma! My next trip to Oklahoma (October) will entail weed-eating and spraying Round-up on the stuff that grows tall enough to wave in the wind and trip the camera.
That’s a tank of a feeder. I assume, which might get me in trouble , that the hog wire is to keep hogs out of the corn ? Is that the sole reason, so they don’t waste your corn ? It doesn’t look like they could do much damage to the feeder itself ?? Does the fence work ? How much corn does tank hold ?? Thanks, I’m still learning working with feeders.

Hirschkopf

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a tank of a feeder. I assume, which might get me in trouble , that the hog wire is to keep hogs out of the corn ? Is that the sole reason, so they don’t waste your corn ? It doesn’t look like they could do much damage to the feeder itself ?? Does the fence work ? How much corn does tank hold ?? Thanks, I’m still learning working with feeders.
Hi KroyWen. I'm a newbie at this too. That feeder is designed to hold 1000 lbs of corn (25, 40 lb bags). The hog panel fence is intended to not waste corn feeding pigs, not give them a chance to damage the feeder, and perhaps most importantly, not be interested in hanging around the feeder which could inhibit the deer from doing so. So far, no hogs have breached the fence. Sounders of them wander by. I've seen up to two doe inside the fence with two more and a buck on the outside. No buck has yet been photographed inside the fence. I live in AZ and have a hunting-savvy neighbor check the feeder whenever I think the traffic is light via the cellular camera. I probably could have gotten by with a smaller feeder since I can still see corn in the upper peep hole after about 2.5 months of feeding. When I come back next, I think I'll set up a second feeder/camera; that one will be gravity fed, feed protein, and may or may not have a fence. If I do put up a fence, I'm going to make it out of 10 hog panels instead of 6. Right after I joined OK Shooters, I asked for advice on big and dependable feeders; track that string down to see the ideas offered - I wanted USA-made, dependable, and big enough to not needed filling often. If you are local, some may not apply. Advice for all included ideas to thwart pigs, coons, squirrels (tree rats), and bears. Save for the pigs wandering by, and does, the only thing else I've seen on camera, that are eating corn are crows (off and on) and an occasional coon.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom