Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In my opinion, that buck is 4.5 at the youngest, but I really believe he’s older. I look at a lot of deer pictures on a daily basis, and the drought seems to have taken a toll on the bodies of the deer around my place making it harder to judge age. I assume it’s the same around the state.
I try to maintain a pretty strict management program, and that buck wouldn’t get a pass this year.

Edit to add why I believe the buck is mature. The buck appears to have a shorter more blunt nose, and to me his eye and around his eyes have an aged look. From the angle, he appears to have a sway in his back and a pot gut.

Last edited:

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Curious at what age you/others would guess that buck to be? Muzzle looks aged and got a pretty good belly hanging down there. 5? He probably would be a little bigger in 1-2 years but honestly couldn't pass him up for the same reasons mentioned.
I think 3 1/2. Snout is still pretty sharp and he hasn’t started developing that Roman nose look yet. If he was 5 1/2, I would expect to see a little more swayback in appearance.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my opinion, that buck is 4.5 at the youngest, but I really believe he’s older. I look at a lot of deer pictures on a daily basis, and the drought seems to have taken a toll on the bodies of the deer around my place making it harder to judge age. I assume it’s the same around the state.
I try to maintain a pretty strict management program, and that buck wouldn’t get a pass this year.

Edit to add why I believe the buck is mature. The buck appears to have a shorter more blunt nose, and to me his eye and around his eyes have an aged look. From the angle, he appears to have a sway in his back and a pot gut.
I agree he could be 4 1/2, but I’d like to see other pictures before I’d say he is that old.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is another picture with him scratching an itch.
IMG_0627.jpeg

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
007CCC66-D880-41C5-A322-311E2AA1E3EA.jpeg

I know for a fact this guy is 4 1/2. Potbelly and slight sway in his back. If you zoom in on the bridge of his nose, you can see it is started to become somewhat convex, or Roman nose, if you will. If he makes it through this year, I would expect his back to sway more and his nose to be even more rounded.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy has been hanging around one area but in the last week has been traveling all over the property. He is my favorite and I have been watching him all summer. My question is, shoot or not shoot? I have been suggested to giving him another year but that would be very hard to do if he walked up on me.

I'm sorry, but I could not pass that one up, if I had the chance! Squeeeeeeeezzzze ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom