Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
View attachment 314572

View attachment 314573
This guy appears to have gotten stuck in some mud. Deep too. Glad he made it out.
I have a lot that look like that on their legs on my cameras. We are down to only one water source and it is so low all that thick tar mud is exposed. I am sure that is the only way they can drink is to go through all that goop to get to water.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bigger bucks showing up on the cameras now. Lot of action 10/28 and 10/29 but mostly 6 pts or small 8. I'd like a shot at this 'crab claw' buck. What would you all think on age? 3.5? Last pic shows some belly but no sway yet on the back. Nice size ham though!
IMG_0763.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I really wanna get a deer this year, and figure that a little scouting combined with a camera will be helpful in finding what I’m looking for. I’ll be on public land, and I have an area picked out. Any handy pointers? Where should I be looking to put it? How?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I really wanna get a deer this year, and figure that a little scouting combined with a camera will be helpful in finding what I’m looking for. I’ll be on public land, and I have an area picked out. Any handy pointers? Where should I be looking to put it? How?
On public land, don't put any camera out that you have fears of being stolen. At least that's always the pointer from others. If you're in a good spot, it may not be bothered. You want to find pinch points or funnels. That would be dictated by the terrain or a creek. Deer generally will take the path of least resistance assuming they have cover(walk around a creek instead of through it if running very much or go around a gorge instead of down and back up). At this time of year, the acorns are on the ground and deer are tough to pattern(at least on our place and figure same on a larger public land tract). During the rut, the big bucks will get themselves tired and all worked up. Hunting near water is a good strategy and a couple of cameras should help determine when/if active area.

Don't share your public spot online! There are a few on here who own private land that would be happy to look at your spot with confidence it will stay private - just reach out.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
On public land, don't put any camera out that you have fears of being stolen. At least that's always the pointer from others. If you're in a good spot, it may not be bothered. You want to find pinch points or funnels. That would be dictated by the terrain or a creek. Deer generally will take the path of least resistance assuming they have cover(walk around a creek instead of through it if running very much or go around a gorge instead of down and back up). At this time of year, the acorns are on the ground and deer are tough to pattern(at least on our place and figure same on a larger public land tract). During the rut, the big bucks will get themselves tired and all worked up. Hunting near water is a good strategy and a couple of cameras should help determine when/if active area.

Don't share your public spot online! There are a few on here who own private land that would be happy to look at your spot with confidence it will stay private - just reach out.
Are you indicating that you would be one of those people? Because it is something I would like some opinions on.

If I put the camera somewhere pretty isolated, and use one of those locking security boxes and a steel cable to attach it, you think ill still have to worry about it walking off?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you indicating that you would be one of those people? Because it is something I would like some opinions on.

If I put the camera somewhere pretty isolated, and use one of those locking security boxes and a steel cable to attach it, you think ill still have to worry about it walking off?
I'd be more than happy to look at an area with you(bet Retrieverman would too if he'd take time away from posting those damn memes). :) I've got OnX Hunt maps and that helps to see the surrounding areas also.

If it's pretty isolated, then likely all that will come by are other hunters and it'd be fine. Box and cable definitely makes it where it's gotta be a thief and not a hunter. Extra money and worth it depending on cost of your camera but I wouldn't spend $100 to save a $100 camera. I think you bought a cell camera right? If so, you'd likely at least get a pic or two of the perp before it's stolen. I'm not trying to be a negative person just stuff like this happens on public land.

Latest posts

Top Bottom