Trail Cam Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never hunted public land, but from stories others have told me, “I” wouldn’t risk putting out a camera even with a box and cable/lock. I think you underestimate the number of thieving @ssholes in the world. :censored:

If I were hunting public land, I would try to think outside the box and do what others won’t be doing. My son has been to a couple OLAP places and has seen deer every time. He get deep into the tract and finds a high spot overlooking a draw. Creeks and draws are generally good place to ambush deer (and pigs). If there are acorns, that’s probably where I’d set up right now. By the time rifle season get here, I would bet they will be soured.

I’m going to leave Russ’s smart@ss comment alone.:finger: :lmfao:

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to look at an area with you(bet Retrieverman would too if he'd take time away from posting those damn memes). :) I've got OnX Hunt maps and that helps to see the surrounding areas also.

If it's pretty isolated, then likely all that will come by are other hunters and it'd be fine. Box and cable definitely makes it where it's gotta be a thief and not a hunter. Extra money and worth it depending on cost of your camera but I wouldn't spend $100 to save a $100 camera. I think you bought a cell camera right? If so, you'd likely at least get a pic or two of the perp before it's stolen. I'm not trying to be a negative person just stuff like this happens on public land.
I got PM heading your way soon.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bucks still hanging together on me. I did spot a scrape with a licking limb above it.

B6B344B9-5AA1-422E-8A9C-25A873F6911C.jpeg

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I'd be more than happy to look at an area with you(bet Retrieverman would too if he'd take time away from posting those damn memes). :) I've got OnX Hunt maps and that helps to see the surrounding areas also.

If it's pretty isolated, then likely all that will come by are other hunters and it'd be fine. Box and cable definitely makes it where it's gotta be a thief and not a hunter. Extra money and worth it depending on cost of your camera but I wouldn't spend $100 to save a $100 camera. I think you bought a cell camera right? If so, you'd likely at least get a pic or two of the perp before it's stolen. I'm not trying to be a negative person just stuff like this happens on public land.

My buddy had a camera that connected to his phone on public land out here by Hardesty for some pre season scouting. The OK Department of Wildlife came in with skid steers and was clearing brush around where his camera was. Those A Holes stole his camera. He even found out where they were staying in Guymon and confronted them at a Restaurant. They Denied it all.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy had a camera that connected to his phone on public land out here by Hardesty for some pre season scouting. The OK Department of Wildlife came in with skid steers and was clearing brush around where his camera was. Those A Holes stole his camera. He even found out where they were staying in Guymon and confronted them at a Restaurant. They Denied it all.
Just because they’re with the ODWC doesn’t preclude folks from being thieving @ssholes. :anyone:

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We’re they contracted to do the work or actual ODWC employees. It probably doesn’t matter in the end, I was just curious.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing but Pre-rut activity around here.
The scrape I found yesterday was likely by this guy.
You can see the wet spot between his legs. Appears to be peeing in the pic.

12DE113A-F74D-49E2-90FC-27334C6A5BFA.jpeg

No shortage of does. They are all grouped together so far.

A9B3AA35-76B1-4517-AA3C-C97D73761838.jpeg

This young but wide buck gets a pass until next year or so to grow some mass.

3E6F6562-2C11-4227-BC9A-4B100D7940D0.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom