Trailer for 2010 remake of True Grit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bridges > Wayne.

But as it was said, this isnt a remake. What I would suggest to anyone doubting the "goodness" of a Coen spearheaded rendition of True Grit, it will be a different look at the story from the book. A little darker, and, at least for me, actors with more skill. FLAME ON!

guns are dumb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bridges > Wayne.

But as it was said, this isnt a remake. What I would suggest to anyone doubting the "goodness" of a Coen spearheaded rendition of True Grit, it will be a different look at the story from the book. A little darker, and, at least for me, actors with more skill. FLAME ON!

You'll get no disagreement from me.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
oh my WMD are you serious???:scratch:

I'm pretty sure he is. The Duke, God rest his soul, was pretty much the same guy in every movie he played. The backgrounds just changed. It's not to discredit his movies or him at all. But saying he was a great actor is stretching it.

Jeff Bridges has played a ton of roles and not many the same. Going from "The Dude" to "Rooster Cogburn" takes some serious skills. And if you want to see him in a fantastic role, check out Crazy Heart. Awesome soundtrack as well.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he is. The Duke, God rest his soul, was pretty much the same guy in every movie he played. The backgrounds just changed. It's not to discredit his movies or him at all. But saying he was a great actor is stretching it.

Jeff Bridges has played a ton of roles and not many the same. Going from "The Dude" to "Rooster Cogburn" takes some serious skills. And if you want to see him in a fantastic role, check out Crazy Heart. Awesome soundtrack as well.

Pretty much exactly what I meant.

Dont get me wrong, I like ol' JW, but for what he was, a typecast. Now sure, there are a few that broke out of that box (the Quiet Man), but those are few and far between. I guess I put him on par with Kevin Costner as far as role versatility. No matter who he played, he was still John Wayne. (again, no discredit to his filmography as most of the films he starred in rank in my top 50 movies of all time).

Now, for True Grit, there are multiple reasons why I know I will love the Coen version more than the '69.

1.) I cannot stand the Hollywoodification of books. Most of the time they candy coat, or put a happy face on what is a very dark tale.

Examples: 3:10 to Yuma (original ended with everyone coming out as clean as a baby's butt. Lead good guy saved his ranch, Lead bad guy rides on the train into the sunset || Remake ended with the Lead good guy deader than a doornail, but he still saved his ranch. A righteous sacrifice to ensure the safety and security of his family, whilst giving an insight into the good that Existed in the Lead Bad guy)

Batman series: Scummaker raped the movies. The only one that came close to the darkness that is batman was the first. The "Do-Overs" captured the truth of Batman, a dark and deeply mentally disturbed vigilanty.

The book, True Grit wasnt as happy/campy as the '69 version. Think about it, its a story about a young girl wanting justice. She seeks out the toughest, rottenest lawman in the land... Why on earth did they add so much humor to the '69 version?

2.) Cast: I pretty much summed this up above... Bridges has gone from deadbeat stoner, to alien, to villian, to corporate monster. Brolin has proved himself versatile, from the straight-man brother in Goonies, to the opportunistic cowboy in No Country for Old Men. Out of the cast, Damon is the only one who doesnt get my nod, but its more a personal distaste rather than the thought he lacks versatility. He has played a range of characters, and most very well.

3.) Direction and Production: You cannot,...CANNOT beat the Coens. Typically, people throw them into a comedy real because of Raising Arizona, The Big Lebowski and O Brother Where Art Thou. If you are one of those who do this, I ask you to view Blood Simple (their first), Miller's Crossing, Barton Fink, or the Usual Suspects. Their power is in the character development and the dialog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom