• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Trailer frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You will never regret buying one !! I also have a small acetylene torch kit I have worn smooth out !! Prolly need to quit buying guns and gun parts long enough to get enough money to upgrade..... Not likely but hey I always say I coulda :cool:

Yeah, I've been meaning to get one for years, just keep getting sidetracked. Finally stopped buys guns and gun stuff for a bit a the moment, so on to this stuff.... like I need more tools in the garage, lol.

If you need help with welding or fabrication, I can explain as much as possible through text or phone call.

Oh you best believe I'm gonna be reaching out soon.

Make sure whatever you get is a 220 welder, 110 volt welders are cheap but will limit what you can do. If you have a dryer plug you can make an extension cord plug adaptor to reach the welder. If you have room in your breaker box it isn't that hard to add a dual breaker and mount a receptical close to the breaker box.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy at least three angle grinders and a chop saw. Angle grinders are for, wire brush, cutoff disk and of course grinder. They are cheap and will save you allot of tool changes. The Chopsaw is an inexpensive way to cut most anything you will run into, noisy dirty and loud but they work.
Goog luck you will have allot of fun.

Def getting a 220, looking at maybe a dual voltage setup. I may add a receptical, I'm not sure yet. the laundry room is right next to the garage, and we're looking at moving this summer anyways.

Hazard Fraud for power tools? No thanks. I already have 5 grinders anyways, lol. I have been thinking about a chop saw though. is the harbor freight one worth a crap?

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
So, I have a hard $1000 limit, would prefer to keep it around $800 if possible.

I have a little experience with stick, a little more with Mig, none with Tig. I want something I can play around with for at least the next 2-3 years, I doubt I’ll need anything more than the capacity to weld 1/4, but I don’t really wanna go below that. I would like the capability to go up to 3/8. I honestly think that the capability to mig and stick weld in one machine would be great, but honestly, would I be better off with a separate mig and a separate stick setup?
I’m looking at buying a dual voltage machine, but would buying a straight 220 machine at the same price point mean I’m getting a better machine?

I’m looking at the harbor freight Vulcan omnipro 220, the Hobart 500553 Handler 210MVP, maybe a primeweld unit? Any other suggestions/opinions on my ideas so far? I keep seeing ads for yeswelder welders, any opinions?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They've changed some stuff over the past few years. Multiprocess machines used to drive the cost up. I'm personally leary of any machine that offers that many features for that price when red and blue single process machines can cost more than that. Just my opinion though.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So, I have a hard $1000 limit, would prefer to keep it around $800 if possible.

I have a little experience with stick, a little more with Mig, none with Tig. I want something I can play around with for at least the next 2-3 years, I doubt I’ll need anything more than the capacity to weld 1/4, but I don’t really wanna go below that. I would like the capability to go up to 3/8. I honestly think that the capability to mig and stick weld in one machine would be great, but honestly, would I be better off with a separate mig and a separate stick setup?
I’m looking at buying a dual voltage machine, but would buying a straight 220 machine at the same price point mean I’m getting a better machine?

I’m looking at the harbor freight Vulcan omnipro 220, the Hobart 500553 Handler 210MVP, maybe a primeweld unit? Any other suggestions/opinions on my ideas so far? I keep seeing ads for yeswelder welders, any opinions?

My opinion only, but get a 230V AC/DC stick welder. Different rods require straight or reverse polarity for the best welds. you can tape a stinger with a rod on a broom stick and weld something 5 feet away. I've seen a guy do that for the record. You can bend a rod into an angle and weld into short spaces where a mig or tig can't get into. You can't do that with any other rig. You can buy 1/16 easy strike rod to weld really thin metals up to pencil sized rods for thick metals. The more you weld, the better they look. Welding is like any thing else. The more you do it, the better you get. Once you quit for awhile it takes a bit to get that skill back.
Tig is awesome, requires skills and constant practice to maintain those skills.
Mig, is so easy that robots do mig, but the cheap migs you get that use flux core don't get much penetration unless using the argon gas. Your restricted to the open areas by the wire from the gun, not around corners or in tight weird places.
That's my input. Others will have theirs and I respect them.
I personally run a Miller 250 amp stick AC/DC. Did a lot of tig on aluminum back in the day as a part time job with another's rig and love it, but it had it's limitations.
Gas welding is also an option. Cutting torch using as jewelers tip and baling wire has fixed many pieces of farm equipment in the field over the years. Not the greatest weld in the world, but if it bought enough time to get back to the barn, it worked.
One can actually buy gas welding rod designed for the job just like tig rods. Farmers used wire coat hangers or baling wire most of the time. It's actually pretty fun to do.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Rating - 98.7%
77   1   0
I’d get the Hobart just because it’s a rebranded Miller. Miller owns and makes them. They just put a few more plastic parts in them versus their Miller products.

I don’t think you’ll be welding super continuous so the duty cycle of that Hobart you mentioned should be sufficient.

if you don’t get a Hobart, my next vote goes towards a used Lincoln AC/DC “tombstone”. They are really good machines. You can find those used pretty often.

If you want a good quality stinger that you’re not gonna accidentally arc on, get a Tweco.

For rod, any Hobart brand should work. They make really good filler metal. If you get good enough I would always use 7018, just remember it’s a uphill rod. Some guys have trouble running it. It lays a very pretty weld when it’s ran flat. Not every weld will be flat though.

These are the few topics I can think of off the top of my head.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I made fenders from the metal I cut off the side of a refrigerator (Thin)
I welded those fenders to my trailer with a Lincoln AC 225 welder and 6013 rod.
The trailer was built with the 6011 rod.
30 years later I still have the same welder.
And Mig pac 100 Lincoln and those 2 have done everything I ever needed done.
And my gas bottles.

DC you can weld aluminum if you are into aluminum.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
This one has built many many many things. It will run for however long you want to hold the stick! Old 1962’ish copper wound. $200

AC2196B0-2AF5-40D7-B1E9-28D861561DE2.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom