Tranny shop suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan500L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He did one for me about 15 years ago. It outlived the truck. I'd guess it made it about 150K miles before the engine broke and the truck was sold for parts.

And yes, it seems like I'm forever getting transmissions rebuilt, but rarely on the same
My mom was in the concession business for 30 years and she pulled her trailer to shows all over Oklahoma with a motorhome that had a 454 and turbo 400 in it. Went through 3 transmissions before we had him put one in, lasted 10 years I think. It was way overloaded but held up good I thought. We had a pretty big name drag racing transmission guy in Moore build one and I think it lasted one season, then he wouldn't stand by it. Ol Baker at American knows his stuff, think some of the guys that work there have been with him for 30 years.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Payton Transmission. Coyle,OK They are out in the sticks, but know their stuff and have been in business many years. Honest! Long ways from OKC, but.............might be worth the trip. They are usually stacked up, so it might not be a quick turn around. They do a great deal of oil field pickup trucks, etc.

Helped me one time with free advice that solved the transmission problem at no charge. Diagnosed the issue without seeing the vehicle. Bad wiring connection.

Last edited:

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The old rule was 20,000 miles and then change the fluid and filter.
Do not forget about the differential fluid either I like 20,000 miles on that stuff. 50,000 for easy driving stuff.
I pound on my stuff.
My Front wheel drives get the drain plug on the transmission pulled every other oil change or 6,000 miles.
Usually takes 3-4 quarts on those 4 cylinder Toyota's.

Most people just drive and drive and never think about fluids breaking down.

I do not know where to go but B&I transmission parts/converters may know a good place, you have received a few suggestions to follow up on.
Keep maintenance up on this next one.
And cross your fingers.
To go along with this, that truck may have a transmission temperature gauge built in. When transmission fluid gets hot, it reduces the life expectancy of the fluid. Running burned fluid likely causes more failures than any other problem.

IMG_7684.jpeg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
To go along with this, that truck may have a transmission temperature gauge built in. When transmission fluid gets hot, it reduces the life expectancy of the fluid. Running burned fluid likely causes more failures than any other problem.

View attachment 399980
It does. Typically runs at 185° all day. Yesterday when it started happening 5 miles from the house I looked and it was at 255°.

Yesterday I checked the dipstick for level, didn’t notice anything. Today I checked the fluid, we’re looking dark and it’s extremely burnt smelling. Like burnt seals smell. So that’s great. Pretty sure I’ll get absolutely screwed if I try and sell it with a bad tranny, so I guess it’s time to find a tranny shop. I’ll give Payton, bluementhal, and A&A a call tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It does. Typically runs at 185° all day. Yesterday when it started happening 5 miles from the house I looked and it was at 255°.

Yesterday I checked the dipstick for level, didn’t notice anything. Today I checked the fluid, we’re looking dark and it’s extremely burnt smelling. Like burnt seals smell. So that’s great. Pretty sure I’ll get absolutely screwed if I try and sell it with a bad tranny, so I guess it’s time to find a tranny shop. I’ll give Payton, bluementhal, and A&A a call tomorrow. Any other suggestions?
If you plan to keep it, I’d install a cooler if it doesn’t have one already.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any real suggestions for a ****ing transmission shop I can trust? The jokes would be hilarious if I didn’t suddenly have a several thousand dollar issue on my hands that leaves me without a vehicle to get me around. I kind of need a vehicle to get around.

R Core on N Council. He's our neighbor and also has done 3 transmissions for us (3 different vehicles), the last one about 6, 7 years ago in my 1998 GMC 1/2 ton. It's still smooth as glass ...

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I think my tranny is doing its best to get retired. Slipping bad, not staying in gear, etc. Only have 126k miles on this POS. I'm gonna go get the tranny flushed/etc and the oil changed, hopefully that fixes it. But if it doesn't, anyone have suggestions of a Tranny shop that isn't gonna completely screw me in the OKC area? Truck is a Chevy Silverado if that's necessary for finding the right shop.
If you mean Transmission Shop, I am very fond of DC Trans, in Del City. They stay pretty busy, but do good work. 405-677-7454

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Transmission is probably (definitely) going to be $3k+. But, everything is these days.

A bit far, but the only guy I know, is in Walter's, south of Lawton. Small shop, been in business for 30+ years and knows his business. Name is Wampler. Highly recommend, but he is busy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom