Trap signs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clintbailey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing some trapping for the first time, in OK at least. The regs seem a little confusing to me, so I figured someone on here might make it easier to understand for me.

Is there certain times you have to post "trap" signs? Does it matter according to type of traps set? Also, if I'm trapping dry land, does my traps have to be a certain type, as in coilspring vs longspring, regular jaw vs offset?

Any help would be appreciated. When I last trapped, I lived in another state that basically had no regulations on trapping other than a 36 hr check rule, and season dates. Thanks, Clint

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not trapped much in several years but I don't think the regs have changed. You have to put signs at gates and the corners of the property you are using leg hold traps on. If you only use a single sping trap, you do not have to post but if you use double long springs or coils, you do have to post. Good luck and take some pics for us.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes they do have to be offset as well. Most traps that I've seen have a piece of No. 9 wire wrapped once around one side to prevent it from fully closing. I used a wire welder to tack a "dot" on one side to prevent it from fully closing. Catch a bunch!

Latest posts

Top Bottom