Anybody skin an otter? Know an otter skinner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I happened upon a roadkilled otter today. It was in incredibly good shape. It hadnt been dead long. Almost zero hide damage. I called the local GW and he got it tagged for me. I’ve always wanted an otter pelt but never felt too good about killing one just to kill one and have it- they’re just too cool and fun to watch. I’ve also never had a problem with one, but I know they wreak havoc on ponds/small fisheries. Anyway, now I have my otter, and my question is this- have any of you cleaned/fleshed/dried an otter before? Is it any easier or worse than bobcat/coon/coyote? Im wanting to keep the feet on the hide. In what little reading I’ve done, having the correct sized board is pretty necessary, and I don’t have an otter length board. I also don’t have much free time these days, so I’m also considering hiring someone to “put this up” for me. Do any of you have a good recommendation for an otter skinner?

Also, shout out to Chris Stover, the stephens county game warden, he went pretty above and beyond for me on this. I didn’t wanna put the otter in my truck knowing that it was out of season, so I just drug it off to the side of the road. I called him, and he asked me where it was so he could go pick it up and tag it for me. He had it tagged waiting for me on my way back to Okc. He was extremely nice and accommodating and I appreciated his help very much.
E4759530-B429-4245-9429-B81D7019D160.jpeg

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome find and you went about it the right way.
Thank you. I love this stuff too much to do it any other way- it’d take all the joy out of it. Also not a fan of needless tickets, haha.

You "otter" get the hide off soon, before the hair starts to slip and ruins the pelt. Otherwise bag it & freeze til you are ready to skin it out.

Haha. He’s currently on a throne of back strap/sandbass/dinosaur chicken nuggets in the deep freeze. Just found the sand bass when I was making room for him, thanks otter! I hope and think it’ll stay in good shape till I figure out the next step.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere a jug band is missing an Emmet
It took a lot of will power for me to not make my post in the thread where you originally provided the nomenclature for a band of otters. But seeing as it was from 2013 and revived once atleast a decade later I decided against it. Glad to know your interest in such important matters hasnt waned.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My brother shoots/traps/skins a fair amount more furbearers than me these days but hasn’t ever done an otter. he just got a quote from the Fur Shed in wetumka for $85 to case skin/feet on, with shipping to and from moyles. That seems extremely reasonable to me, but I’ve never used the Fur Shed before. Y’all got any experience with them?

Latest posts

Top Bottom