Trout Fishing Q#..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So,.. my dad and I are thinking about taking off and doing some trout fishing. The closest trout place to us (Meeker, OK) is probably the Blue River or Watonga.

We haven't been fishing in many years, in fact I'm not even sure what gear we have available.

If I swing by walmart and get some:

spinning gear
4lb line
#8 hooks
trout bait
split shot
floats

and head for the trout stream, am I in for a rude awakening..? Is it as easy as some of you make it sound?

Doesn't sound like there's much to it, kinda like fishing for bluegill from the bank.

We've never done it, so there's a good chance we'll give it a try in the near future. Are there certain days or certain areas that we should go to? Don't give away your honey holes, just get me in the ballpark.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've made probably over 30 trips to the Blue River this season. I don't live to far from there (about 35 miles). Here's what I can tell you.....The fishing has been really slow the last couple of weeks. We've managed to limit out each time we went though. Last day I went was Friday and it was the slowest its been for me. They aren't stocking as many trout this year as they have in the past because the ones they are stocking are bigger trout (generally 10 to 12 inches but we've caught them in the 16 -18 inch range). They've been doing the stocking on Wednesdays. I've been using either an ultra-light or light action spinning gear with 4lb. test line. Lately I've been using the light action gear since it seems hook-up are more consistent with the light action rod. I'm using the smallest weighted barrel corks I can find (from Wal-Mart) with a small split-shot placed just above the hooks leader. #8 hooks about three feet below the cork and baited with Mr. Trout salmon eggs. Earlier in the year we used Balls-of-Fire salmon eggs with the red lid and had the same results as the brand we've been using as of late. The best fishing has generally has been just above and below Hughes Crossing. Friday I did drive back into area one and caught several nice trout on Super Dupers. If you're going on the weekend its going to be a little crowded. The fishing has been the best from dawn until around noon. After noon the bite really seems to taper off.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Live in Meeker huh? I grew up in Prague. Another place you might look at is the Lower Illinois river there in Gore, it's year round and is below Tenkiller Dam and should be about 1 1/2 hours East of ya. Just go a search on like Mapquest or Google Earth for Gore, Oklahoma Later,

Kirk

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So,.. my dad and I are thinking about taking off and doing some trout fishing. The closest trout place to us (Meeker, OK) is probably the Blue River or Watonga.

We haven't been fishing in many years, in fact I'm not even sure what gear we have available.

If I swing by walmart and get some:

spinning gear
4lb line
#8 hooks
trout bait
split shot
floats

and head for the trout stream, am I in for a rude awakening..? Is it as easy as some of you make it sound?

Doesn't sound like there's much to it, kinda like fishing for bluegill from the bank.

We've never done it, so there's a good chance we'll give it a try in the near future. Are there certain days or certain areas that we should go to? Don't give away your honey holes, just get me in the ballpark.

Not saying a float won't work but most of the time trout feed close to the bottom. I fished on the bottom when I used spinning gear. You could use a slip float and adjust your depth.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not saying a float won't work but most of the time trout feed close to the bottom. I fished on the bottom when I used spinning gear. You could use a slip float and adjust your depth.

We've used floats many times on the Blue River and have had very little problems catching alot of fish.

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take that float off and bounce your powerbait off the bottom you'll catch more fish :-) when I used to throw bait 2 small split shot about 8" above a little 3 way hook and a pea sized wad of powerbait throw it a touch upstream so it can sink and about the time you get 45 deg downstream normally you were fighting a fish. I just throw flies now. Later,

Kirk

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take that float off and bounce your powerbait off the bottom you'll catch more fish :-) when I used to throw bait 2 small split shot about 8" above a little 3 way hook and a pea sized wad of powerbait throw it a touch upstream so it can sink and about the time you get 45 deg downstream normally you were fighting a fish. I just throw flies now. Later,

Kirk

That doesn't alway fly....at least not on Blue River. I've set and caught 20+ fish fishing with a cork while I watched someone on the other side of the bank not catch a thing. This hasn't been just a one time occurance....this is almost every trip there. I have fished on bottom there a few times, but the bite was alot slower than with the cork. The fishing has been alot slower there the last couple of weeks though, but I'm still outfishing them around 7 to 1. I don't use power bait there anymore, have plenty of it in the tacklebox and have done ok with it, but we catch many, many more fish with salmon eggs.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure how these non-native stocked trout are, but as a kid back in New England I'd catch a stringer full of trout in a morning using a bobber and some salmon eggs...sitting on the bank relaxin'.

TERPSTER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up fishing the Little Red River in Arkansas, when they were not generating we always used salmon eggs, corn, or wax worms, sometimes threw a small marshmellow on there. Never used a float. I am sure it would work with one, but the water is mostly shallow and really clear there.
When the water was moving I would just use a small spoon or spinner.

Latest posts

Top Bottom