Trout Fishing Q#..?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up fishing the Little Red River in Arkansas, when they were not generating we always used salmon eggs, corn, or wax worms, sometimes threw a small marshmellow on there. Never used a float. I am sure it would work with one, but the water is mostly shallow and really clear there.
When the water was moving I would just use a small spoon or spinner.

almost forgot about corn...used that a bunch too in addition to nightcrawlers and salmon eggs.

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
almost forgot about corn...used that a bunch too in addition to nightcrawlers and salmon eggs.

Haven't used the corn, but one of the trout I cleaned last week was stuffed with the stuff. Believe some of the fisherman who are bottom fishing on the Blue River are chumming the water with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nightcrawlers are really good. You can buy an inflator at any of the trout shops. Its a device to blow an air bubble into the worm to make it float just off the bottom. Deadly.:D

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nightcrawlers are really good. You can buy an inflator at any of the trout shops. Its a device to blow an air bubble into the worm to make it float just off the bottom. Deadly.:D

This thread's getting me all nostalgic. We had a couple small brooks near my childhood home, full of native trout. Almost had to low crawl up the water so as not to spook 'em. Good eating.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can get the occasional surprise. The state record striper/sandbass hybrid was caught below the Altus-Lugert dam, by a trout fisherman. Fish weighed over 23 pounds (full of trout, no doubt). He is a taxidermist at Hobart, and if I remember correctly his name is Paul Hollister. He said it was quite a fight on the trout rig. Keep your drag set nice and loose, just in case. CB

I did remember correctly: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/listing2.htm

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get the occasional surprise. The state record striper/sandbass hybrid was caught below the Altus-Lugert dam, by a trout fisherman. Fish weighed over 23 pounds (full of trout, no doubt). He is a taxidermist at Hobart, and if I remember correctly his name is Paul Hollister. He said it was quite a fight on the trout rig. Keep your drag set nice and loose, just in case. CB

I did remember correctly: http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/listing2.htm

Thats good advice.
Was at the LIR a couple of years back, at Marvals using a spinning rig and colorado spoon. Got a tremendous hook set, and the fight was on. Had to run alongside the bank fighting the fish or else the 4 lb line would have broken or ran out of line on the spool.
About 5 minutes later, landed a tail hooked carp that weighed in the neighborhood of 5 lbs. Heck of a fight though:D

crg1372

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Fishin was really slow at Blue River today. Fished at Hughes Crossing for about an hour and a half and never got a bite. Saw one fish caught while I was there. Moved over to area two and they were biting good there. They didn't stock yesterday and were supposed to stock today. They never showed up while I was there but this stocking is coming from Missouri. Larger trout on average of about 2lbs. from what I was told by the resident Ranger. Didn't do to bad overall. Here's my catch from today....

ai118.photobucket.com_albums_o82_durantsports_guy_72_l_f8b8e00f67224ec695e5124c6c0a9dcc.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom