Trucking Industry News

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are a lot of companies that claim to keep losing money, they are the same ones who put incompetent people into positions. My father constantly complained about the management where he was driving, basically they had no clue what was going on and over the years he was there every three or four years everyone would be fired and a new group put in place on the management side of it all. The same company asked everyone to take pay cuts when the economy went down and they did to a point. The company then went out and built a new headquarters. It sucks that this happens and it's worse on the drivers and other regular guys but the management at too many places just plain sucks.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Management wants to pay employees just enough to keep them from quitting, but no more.
Employees want to do just enough work to keep from getting fired, but no more.

It's the American Way.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was just at a transportation conference in early October. I was told the number of loads that don't get ran per day in the US is ~35K due to driver shortages.

Exactly. If you listen to Serius XM radio a lot like I do, there are constant ads looking for truck drivers nationwide.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Or maybe the fact that two executives embezzled $60 million
This started over 3 years ago. Talk about a poorly ran company.

Sounds exactly like the WorldCom days With the fraud happening at that time.

Two former top executives at Indianapolis-based trucking and transportation company Celadon Group Inc. have been indicted for their roles in an alleged fraud scheme that federal prosecutors say cost the publicly traded company's shareholders more than $60 million.

Former Chief Operating Officer William Eric Meek, 39, and Chief Financial Officer Bobby Lee Peavler, 40, were arrested Thursday morning on nine counts each that include conspiracy to commit wire and securities fraud and conspiracy to make false statements to the company's accountants and falsify records. Peavler also is charged with two additional counts of making false statements to the company's accountants.

Josh Minkler, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Indiana, said Meek and Peavler each face decades in prison in the case investigated by the FBI, Department of Justice, U.S. Postal Inspection Service and the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I was just at a transportation conference in early October. I was told the number of loads that don't get ran per day in the US is ~35K due to driver shortages.
Yep! I know a fella or two that own a few trucks and they say not being able to find reliable drivers is their number one problem.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can tell you this, if the trucks don't run the shelves at the grocery store are soon bare. I found this out a couple of years ago when we had an ice storm that lasted a few days.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was listening to "a guy on the radio" (I know....), He was saying that turnover in the OTR (over the road) segment was almost 90% in a year.

Unreal. That means the guy in the Class 8 next to you is thinking more about quitting his job, than he is about anything else.

Latest posts

Top Bottom