Trump cell phone use / Clinton email server abuse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That addresses the security issue but highlights the problem with proper archiving of federal records.

I think Obama's BB, like Trump's phone, is designated for private communications with friends and family only.
No official US .gov communications.

I can't believe that Trump is using a stock off the shelf phone.
At a minimum, the SS would demand that the GPS and Bluetooth functions be disabled so that his personal location isn't revealed.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Obama's BB, like Trump's phone, is designated for private communications with friends and family only.

At a minimum, the SS would demand that the GPS and Bluetooth functions be disabled so that his personal location isn't revealed.

With the Obama phone, they had to tote around a cell base station so that the IMEI could be masked in order to prevent tracking of the president's phone.
But I'm sure they forgot the archiving requirement.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, regardless of the media or the left’s position, what’s your position? Does the POTUS and other senior administration officials have to comply with federal law regarding the proper creation, administration and cataloging of federal records protection of classified and/or sensitive information?

It’s not a trick question and it has nothing to do with political affiliation of the employee.
Agreed: it's a fair question. Trump should comply with what the rules are. But one of my other concerns is with how the media glossed-over Obama's and Mrs. Clinton's handling of the same issue. Now it is suddenly a concern of the media when POTUS has an 'R' after his name. Where was all of this concern when Obama and Clinton were doing the same thing?

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed: it's a fair question. Trump should comply with what the rules are. But one of my other concerns is with how the media glossed-over Obama's and Mrs. Clinton's handling of the same issue. Now it is suddenly a concern of the media when POTUS has an 'R' after his name. Where was all of this concern when Obama and Clinton were doing the same thing?

The media reports what it like and ignores what it doesn't. It doesn't serve the people or the country. They are all for profit enterprises and they're free to do whatever makes them feel good about themselves. What we shouldn't do is respect them or believe them. They serve no "higher function" in America. They serve themselves and those they align themselves with.

Trump shouldn't even have a personal phone, because he is POTUS 24/7/365. It isn't about impropriety, it's about the potential appearance of impropriety. If he just HAS to have his own phone, then he should ensure that every use is archived off the official books, and then released those books to the public at the end of his presidency. Obama should have done the same, but then we know Obama doesn't really care about any appearance of impropriety.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Still missing point though Hobbes. If POTUS has such a setup, that uses a private, nongovernmental email address and is admistered by a third party provider...it’s not enough to say “you can’t use this for government business “.

If Obama, or whoever, uses the personal account to email a friend who happens to work for, say, Merrill Lynch and they discuss official policy issues, that communication becomes a federal record, by law. But that record now exists outside federal control and cannot be properly archived and accessed.

By law, official business conducted on personal accounts must be forwarded to an official .gov account.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The other side of the argument, though, is that they're not allowed to use governmental resources for private business.

So...damned if you do, damned if you don't.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anything and everything that comes out of an elected officials mouth should be a matter of public record. ESPECIALLY when conducting private business. Might keep some of them a lil more honest

Latest posts

Top Bottom