Trust it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You guys shoot em before you carry them?

I once bought a brand new g19. Loaded first time pulled trigger and click. Took it apart and it had broken firing pin. Had the same thing happen on a used gen 2 g19. And the guy i got it from had been carrying it.( So not even glocks aren't perfect)
Wait....you take them ..apart?
100 rounds or so ..to see where the sights are , and to get a feel for the gun.
including carry ammo.

David2012

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For my personal protection weapons I try to stick with the name brands that generally have life time warranties... as they tend to be the most dependable. With my revolvers [mostly S&W & Colt] and my semi-autos [Glocks, Ruger, Berreta, S&W]... I load them with the ammo I'm gonna be carrying... shoot it until it is sighted in... and if it went bang every time I pulled the trigger and is on target, then I trust it......typically 25-50 rounds. Of course I do take them to the range and practice with them...but as far as trusting them... about 25-50 rounds of my carry ammo without a hic-up.

I've carried a Glock of different calibers for 15 yrs... never have had a failure to fire or a jam in my G19, 21 or 23. They were all good to go right out of the box. I sighted them in with a dozen rounds and carried them.

I had a Kel-Tec P3AT that was averaging one failure to feed out of about every 10 rounds. I would NEVER trust one of those with my life.

For some reason the round would jam straight-in on the feed ramp. I could have gone the route of hand polishing the feed ramp or firing 200+ rounds of ball ammo through it or even sending it back the factory [as I had called them and gotten approval to do so] and that might have solved the feeding problem... but instead I traded it off on a deal for a new Ruger LCP w/ CT laser. I put approx. 150 rounds down the barrel fine-tuning the laser to my liking. Not one single failure to feed, or failure to fire with several different brands of ammo. That one stays in my front pocket loaded with Critical Defense rounds. The G23 w/ CT laser... loaded with Critical Defense rounds is my main carry weapon OWB in a leather Bianchi Model 82 auto retention threat level 2 'Carrylok' Holster. It took some getting use to the odd release using my ring finger.. but it is a nice leather holster that holds the pistol close to the body.

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Revolvers? Load and go.

Semi auto? 1911 have always been the hardest to break in... 5, 6 boxes or till I start getting 50 in a row without failure to feed or eject

As far as revolvers go this is bad advice and heres why. I bought a model 15 snubby once. I guess considered a good one as far as a revolver goes. Anyway I take it to the range and load it up to test it. well after the first shot it was jammed up good. After I finally got it unjammed I found the problem...a primer had been pulled out by the firing pin. I called Smith and was told that a few had been recalled due to that problem. I sent it back and got the modification done to it. Got it back and fired a box through it. It did ok and promptly found a new home. So a revolver is far from perfect either.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nothing is perfect every time

have I carried a weapon before shooting it? yes
do I need to shoot hundreds if not thousands of rounds before I "trust" a weapon - nope. If I did I think I would be looking for a new weapon for protection.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually run a couple hundred thru autos just to get a feel for them.
No problems then I'm usually good to add it to my rotation.

Anything I carry gets regular feedings to stay confortable with it.
Depending on the weapon it may be as few as magazine or cylinder once a month.
Gives me a reason to clean and inspect them.

Trust is a fleeting feeling when it comes to handguns.
One little mishap and it falls out of the rotation until fixed.

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
As far as revolvers go this is bad advice and heres why. I bought a model 15 snubby once. I guess considered a good one as far as a revolver goes. Anyway I take it to the range and load it up to test it. well after the first shot it was jammed up good. After I finally got it unjammed I found the problem...a primer had been pulled out by the firing pin. I called Smith and was told that a few had been recalled due to that problem. I sent it back and got the modification done to it. Got it back and fired a box through it. It did ok and promptly found a new home. So a revolver is far from perfect either.

Thanks for sharing GC, I rarely hear of issues with revolvers like you described. I often recommend snubby revolvers to ladys and first time gun owners due to ease of operation and having less reliability issues than (most) SA's.

Of course there is no gun 100% reliable.

Now, for the OP's topic, If I have no issues after a box having gone through variations of shot patterns and cycles( I try to make it jam), I will be ok carrying it.

That being said, if I experience issues in the first box, I would not use it as a primary ccf until I obviously work through any bugs, if they can be worked through.

Latest posts

Top Bottom