Truth or Fiction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I received this in an email this morning. I am always very pessimistic over any story I get via email. Obviously this did occur (see pictures), however I can't say it happened in the location that was claimed. Not sure if the background matches that area, some of those trees in the first picture have a bark like an aspen. The hill looks pretty big in the background, but it is kinda hilly up around there. I am also not familiar with the range of bears in Oklahoma, but I have never heard of any up that way. Any of ya'll heard this yet? Interesting pictures regardless.

"I got this today from a friend who lives North of Vera, which is about half way between Tulsa and Bartlesville Oklahoma .

Subject: Black Bear
Hi everyone:

A couple of evenings ago, *Insert husband's name here* went out to check the cows and saw a very strange sight and was able to photograph the event. A black bear approached our cow herd which turned out to be a very big mistake on his part.

The blonde and white Simmental cow we know as I-12. She is a very good cow, a very attentive mother and about 12 years old. She's in her prime and knows that bears are bad news. She went right for him and tried
her best to mash him into the ground. A younger cow, R-55, an Angus-Cross cow, age 7, is helping her out as best she can. It is an incredible photo to see two cows at once trying to crush the bear. There are a couple of
photos where the bear is biting I-12's leg and clawing her face but she is not giving up. Her stiff tail shows how agitated she is. *Husband* said all the cows were bawling, the bear was squealing, the calves were running around with their tails in the air. Finally, the bear decided to vacate the area. We thought he'd be dead for sure, but there was no sign of him the next day. We're sure he's got some broken ribs out of the deal at the very least.

I looked up the calving records of both cows who are so aggressive in these photos and they are both good, calm cows around us and have given us no troubles whatsoever. I'll have to add in my notes that they have a very distinct dislike of bears.

We'll be watching I-12 over the next few days to see if she needs treatment for infection. I don't know how willingly she'll come to the corrals for treatment, but she might not have a choice.

*Husband* couldn't believe his eyes when he witnessed this ruckus. This is another once-in-a-lifetime photography event to add to all the others he managed to document this summer. It is amazing.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It did really happen but who knows where it happened. The email I got said it happened in Montana, I've also heard about every Rocky Mountain state, Oregon, and British Columbia. Couldn't find anything on Snopes. The mystery may never be solved.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Eh, found this email on several websites, so pretty certain it did not happen in OK. Oh well, cool pics anyway. Wonder what would happen if I got in a bear suit and ran out in the pasture? haha

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks 264. I was thinking it was true anyway. Cattle with calves are pretty protective and they are so big that they can hurt something the size of a bear bad. Lots of people have been killed by cattle by crushing them with their heads. Those cows probably weight 1,000 lbs and I bet that bear was under 200.

Latest posts

Top Bottom