Tulsa Restaurant Los Cabos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
I'm in the land of chain restaurants here so anything different is welcome. Although an Arkansas joint (Slim Chickens) opened on the same Bass Pro property and in my opinion, it's not very good. That's a very toned down opinion of the place. Cain's chicken just opened here too. That's a chicken finger place. WTH? Are we all 12 years old or what?
Go to Strouds chicken in KC, "we choke our own chickens"

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like the Las Cabos in Owasso but I agree wit tr that Chuy's is better. I don't understand why anyone likes Ted's. Compadre's is OK, El Tequila is good and has fast service if you are trying to squeeze in lunch out.

But really - none of them hold a candle to El Rio Verde.

I've heard from someone who's opinion I respect that there are some better hole in the wall places in Tulsa but I have no diect experience.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the Las Cabos in Owasso but I agree wit tr that Chuy's is better. I don't understand why anyone likes Ted's. Compadre's is OK, El Tequila is good and has fast service if you are trying to squeeze in lunch out.

But really - none of them hold a candle to El Rio Verde.

We tried going there once... but I think they were closed. Never went back. It's not a nice-looking neighborhood, that's for sure.

<edit> Just looked at their hours... looks like they're open 13 hours a day 7 days a week. So I'm not sure what the deal was. Maybe it was a holiday, I dunno. Either way, I remember pulling up outside and it was deserted, but maybe we just didn't like the look of the neighborhood.

I'll have to go sometime when I'm by myself, I tend to be a little more conservative about visiting shady areas when I have the wife with me.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hole in the wall Mexican places are the best!

El Rio Verde is awesome. Tiny, in a crappy neighborhood, bars on the windows, etc., but damn good.

Also good spots in no particular order:

Tacos Don Francisco (11th st location is too small for groups-go to 21st and Memorial).
Mr. Tacos on North Lewis (no inside dining at all-walk up and order-the king burrito is enormous and the meats are good)
Tacos El Rinconcito (near Best Buy just off I-44, also not the best/prettiest neighborhood, really good tortas)
Las Americas (3rd st, next to Second Hand Rose Pawn, looked closed down last I saw, but fingers crossed)

East Tulsa is just full of good spots around 21st and Garnett. To be fair, none of these places are in what you would think of as "nice" areas. You won't see fancy cars, big houses, or lots of people who are shiny as a new penny. But the food....Dear God, the food. I may need a moment.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hole in the wall Mexican places are the best!

El Rio Verde is awesome. Tiny, in a crappy neighborhood, bars on the windows, etc., but damn good.

Also good spots in no particular order:

Tacos Don Francisco (11th st location is too small for groups-go to 21st and Memorial).
Mr. Tacos on North Lewis (no inside dining at all-walk up and order-the king burrito is enormous and the meats are good)
Tacos El Rinconcito (near Best Buy just off I-44, also not the best/prettiest neighborhood, really good tortas)
Las Americas (3rd st, next to Second Hand Rose Pawn, looked closed down last I saw, but fingers crossed)

East Tulsa is just full of good spots around 21st and Garnett. To be fair, none of these places are in what you would think of as "nice" areas. You won't see fancy cars, big houses, or lots of people who are shiny as a new penny. But the food....Dear God, the food. I may need a moment.

Good info this. I need to make a note of these places in my phone for next time I am down in T-town...

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im close to Kenosha St BAs strip of eat places so I usually grab my fast food near there when home. Im not a big chicken fanatic like my wife and kids but I will eat it. I like the chicken and waffles at Slim Chikens and I like Raising Canes. There is now a new ChikFilA near those two. Just down the street is: Popeyes, KFC, BWW, plus a Churchs is only a few miles away. We also have a place called Roys chicken in Coweta that is decent. To each their own as they say.

I remember Roy's chicken. I went there once many years ago. They screwed up my order. I may have to try this El Rio verde place you all speak of.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Roy's brother Larry has a chicken place near 86th St. N just West of highway 169 in Owasso. Sometimes too salty, sometimes overcooked, but most of the time just great. Not open Sundays or holidays.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Calaveras + Taqueria Calfornia (truck at Admiral & Lewis) + Cancun > El Rio Verde

Taqueria California is semi-new. I think I am their most frequent guero customer. Tripa and mulitas like none other.

Calaveras is the best of both worlds. Clean, AC, good food. Just needs a liquor license.

El Rio Verde has a couple great menu items. Several meh ones and a small menu. Calaveras blows their tits off.

I also second Riconcito at 47th and Braden. I just never go anymore because the N Lewis joints are closer to me. Tulsa has got lots of good Mexican food. Just keep getting better. My 2 faves are pretty new.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom