Tumblers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to look for a tumbler, and like everything else it's overwhelming. I have found a few, but am wanting advice.

Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Case Tumbler - $35
Hornady M-1 Case Tumbler - $58
Hornady M-2 Case Tumbler - $75
Lyman Pro 1200 Tumbler - $54

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the Frankford Arsenal. Had it for years. The first one I had, the motor went out after just a few months. To be honest, it may have been my fault because I just lost track of time and don't know how long it ran continuously. Regardless, they sent me a new one and it's been running for years! (NOT continuously!)

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Quick-n-EZ complete kit from MidwayUSA is like $70, which is what I have. The tumbler alone is $40 from them. It's the only one I've ever owned, so I know nothing about the others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right now it's a toss up between the Frankford and the Hornady M-1. Both have about the same amount of good reviews, plus the price is close enough to call comparable.

Another couple questions would be:
1) what is the best media to use?

2) Is it safe to put my collection bullets in a tumbler to clean them? I wanted to leave them tarnished, but when I cleaned the bases so I could identify them, while rubbing them with the rag, I also shined about a 1/4" of the cartridges, so now I have to clean them all.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another couple questions would be:
1) what is the best media to use?
I have used both corn cob and ground walnut shells. Some use steel pins and I believe swampratt has made and used some copper pins. What's best? Don't know. Think that kinda' depends on your brass.

2) Is it safe to put my collection bullets in a tumbler to clean them? I wanted to leave them tarnished, but when I cleaned the bases so I could identify them, while rubbing them with the rag, I also shined about a 1/4" of the cartridges, so now I have to clean them all. If you're talking about live ammo, NO!

Last edited:

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a hornady tumbler. I don't know how much difference there could be in a bucket that vibrates. I use and have only used Frankford corn cob media. Every once in a while I squirt a lil frankford polish into the media. Works great.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started with the Lyman 1200 years ago, still works like a champ. I like the corn cob media best. Save your used dryer sheets. About half a sheet in there will collect the dust.

Latest posts

Top Bottom