Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure what makes them do that or why they travel to the area that they do. The place I hunt north of me they are on my on my place from about the end of Feb through May, and I'll never see them again until the Feb. May thru January they spend all their time 2 miles to the southeast, and it looks nearly identical to the place I hunt lol.
I don’t know either but speculate the hens move to areas that are warmer in the evenings so they can go out and feed themselves while the sun and air temperatures keep the eggs warm.
I’ll give an example. Where we live in Osage County, it’s up on a ridge. A buddy lives on the other side of the same ridge 3 miles East.
He sees hens during the fall and winter. No Tom’s.
West of him we see Tom’s year around, probably because we keep a corn feeder running year around for the wife to watch deer.
In the spring the hens show up, breeding activity and gobbles for days on end.
Then we see hens out on the West side of that ridge in evenings out by themselves which in my mind means they are nesting. Same hens every day in the same location out in the pastures.
Those have been my observations, repeated yearly with the same scenario.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t understand much of my turkey’s recent behavior either. June-February they roost on my places and eat/mill/loiter on my places. March-may, the hens roost 300yds east on one neighbor, the gobblers roost 300yds south on another neighbor. But they all fly up from and down to my places- then they leave until it’s time to roost again. Weird critters.

And I’ll second having more turkeys this year than in recent years. Judging by what I saw in deer season, my flock increased about %30 from last year. More juveniles, but more adults too. Hopefully they’ll all make it to breeding season.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in my dispute with dev I lost classified privileges. So- if any of yall have a mossberg 510 mini 410ga you’d like to sell, I’d be very pleased to hear about it.
I have never heard of that model, but it looks pretty cool. From a little internet search, it appears to be kind of a unicorn. My suggestion would be to contact a dealer and see if they can order one.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never heard of that model, but it looks pretty cool. From a little internet search, it appears to be kind of a unicorn. My suggestion would be to contact a dealer and see if they can order one.
They’re kinda hard to come by right now, and a bit overpriced in my opinion- but they look like a good fit for a small shooter. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one from gunbroker

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They’re kinda hard to come by right now, and a bit overpriced in my opinion- but they look like a good fit for a small shooter. I may just have to bite the bullet and get one from gunbroker
Don’t do that. Get the model number and put it in this search:

https://gun.deals/

You will find a better deal than an auction site. This is how I buy my guns.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
@AER244 I've got it here at home. Unless you think a 20g is too much, you're welcome to try it out. I've owned it for about 15y and have actually had possession of it about a third of that time lol. My daughter killed her first turkey with it at 7yo and some of her friends have as well. I've loaned it out to friends for their kids to shoot turkeys, squirrels, ducks and rabbits with also.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking about my winter Tom’s hanging around, they showed up again. Group of Jake’s here. The bigger Tom’s hang together in another flock.

IMG_2613.jpeg

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@AER244 I've got it here at home. Unless you think a 20g is too much, you're welcome to try it out. I've owned it for about 15y and have actually had possession of it about a third of that time lol. My daughter killed her first turkey with it at 7yo and some of her friends have as well. I've loaned it out to friends for their kids to shoot turkeys, squirrels, ducks and rabbits with also.
thank you very much for that offer, I really do appreciate it. However, I immediately took @Dorkus’ advice and got one from gun.deals. I haven’t bought a new gun in a minute, but that’s how I’ll be shopping new from now on. But thank both of you very much, it’s much appreciated.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
thank you very much for that offer, I really do appreciate it. However, I immediately took @Dorkus’ advice and got one from gun.deals. I haven’t bought a new gun in a minute, but that’s how I’ll be shopping new from now on. But thank both of you very much, it’s much appreciated.

Yep any time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom