Turkey hunting 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may end up regretting it, but I sold my Encore turkey set up. A guy on another site was looking for one, and he didn’t even try to haggle on my price. Honestly, I have enough shotguns without having another that’s basically a single use gun.
Anyway, I got the wild hare to load and test some 20 ga ammo in my first shotgun my parents bought me in 1977…a Westernfield bolt action 20 ga with a full choke. I probably haven’t shot it since 1981 or 82, and evidently, it shoots high and isn’t choked as tight as I remember. Back in the safe it goes.
My next experiment was with the same ammo I loaded for the Encore, and I shot them out of a 1971 Belgium Browning A5 Magnum. The original barrel has a fixed full choke, so I bought a Japanese made Browning barrel in the early 90’s that takes investor chokes. Evidently, I didn’t have the friction rings set right, because it wouldn’t eject the empties (it’s fixed now). It patterned pretty well with a Carlson .640 turkey choke, and I may end up hunting with this gun just for nostalgia sake. My biological Dad was killed in 1974, and this was his only shotgun (he bought for $150 from a coworker that needed money).
IMG_0408.jpeg

IMG_0409.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom