Two quick questions about a Savage 10FP in .308

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGJAKE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, can anyone tell me anything about these rifles (from personal experience). I am looking at getting one and want to learn more about them. The add I am lookin at says tht they come with the accutrigger and oversized bolt handle but that is about all I know about them.

Second, they come in either 20" or 24" barrels and I would like to know ballisticlly which one would be better to get. I know the 20" would be easier to carry but I would like to know what you gain with the extra 4 inches of barrel length. I have also heard that the longer the barrel the more accurate a gun is but again I do not know for sure.

eby42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The extra four inches will result in slightly higher FPS and thus slightly more energy and stability. .308 is a big enough round to make use of the longer barrel, but the 20" savages are known to be extremely accurate as well.

In practice there's probably a decent chance either rifle will handily outshoot all but the best shooters. Barrel length is an issue in some of the M4-sized 16" AR-10's, though.

I've been looking at a Savage model 10 myself, supposed to be one of the best bolt action values around. The 10FP is unbeatable for the price as far as I know.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set up sporting clays at 200 yards and annhilate them with the cheapest milsurp ammo I can find. Here's mine:

ai14.photobucket.com_albums_a320_mmchambers06_P3131164.jpg

Also check out the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. They are sweet shooters in the same price range. You can't go wrong with either.

I like the 20".

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A longer heavy barrel may produce slightly better long range accuracy, simply by the velocity retained at 600+ yards.

For most of us, a medium to heavy 20" barrel is handier, lighter and more accurate(vs.a longer tapered barrel) within the "average" 300 yard range becuase of the greater rigidity of the barrel.

Medium to light contour long barrels experience "whip" as the bullet leaves, which decreases accuracy.(Very simply and not discussing things like pillar bedding, BOSS system, etc..)

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to find it, but I read an article where they took some barrels at a longer length, fired some test groupings, then began to trim .5" + crown and retest.
Accuracy improved some as they trimmed down. Groups didn't start to open up until they got down to 17" or so

Ksmirk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I recall about 24-26" lower at 1K compiared to a 26" tube compaired to a 20" tube so nothing you need to worry about, your going to get your ranges set up on a range card anyway so the only time you'll have to worry is if you dope the range and wind wrong.

The Accutrigger while it's very nice I went with the SSS trigger and it is a noticable difference! the Accutrigger will be fine I left mine on my P dog rifle but the 308 got the SSS trigger either way you go the rifles shoot very well! a lot better than the price would reflect. Just get it and don't think twice. Later,

Kirk

GunJunkie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I have one and really like it as well. One thing I will say it is a 1-10" twist on the barrell, which tends to like the heavier bullets. I shoot 168 and heavier, but i have read several reports of guys having problems stabilizing 150 grain bullets and lighter. I went with the 24" barrel on my rig, but if i remember correctly the new model could be had in 26" as well. I say if you decide to buy one you wont regret it! +1 from me.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Barrel length (and even outside diameter) aren't the only things to consider when looking at accuracy.

Twist-rate becomes pretty critical when getting down below about 22-24"

Overall quality of the barrel/chamber is pretty important as well. Material will come into play some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom