U.S. ratings downgrade imminent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tuesday that credit rating agencies are considering a downgrade of the United States "as early as tonight," as lawmakers struggled to reach a debt ceiling agreement.

The source of Reid's information was unclear, and his office did not respond to a request for follow-up comment.

The big three rating agencies -- Fitch, Moody's and Standard & Poor's -- declined to comment on the senator's remarks, pointing to their previous statements on the debt ceiling showdown.

A failure to raise the debt ceiling by Thursday's deadline could prompt a default on the country's debt and chaos in world financial markets. Senate leaders from both parties said a deal is near to raise the debt limit and end the government shutdown, though House Republicans were considering their own proposal that the White House has already said it would reject.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/15/news/economy/reid-downgrade/

i.imgur.com_b6GxZta.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime someone says that failure to raise the debt ceiling will result in a "default on our debt"....god kills a puppy.

It's an outright lie and fabrication.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Someone should tell this idiot:

It wouldn’t be wise,” he said, “to just kick the debt-ceiling can down the road for a couple months, and flirt with the first-ever intentional default right in the middle of the holiday shopping season. Because damage to America’s sterling credit rating wouldn’t just cause global markets to go haywire; it would become more expensive for everyone in America to borrow money.”

America's "sterling" credit rating? If I had America's "sterling" credit rating, I wouldn't be eligible to borrow a freaking pencil.

Latest posts

Top Bottom