Ultrasonic Brass Cleaning?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting...

I've used a Franklin Vibratory for the better part of the last 8 years. Still using the original media, refresh it with brass cleaner every 3rd or 4th use.

Dump in the brass around 8PM, turn it on (its in the garage) and the next morning the brass is all bright and shiny like new - including 99 of 100 primer holes.

Total human time involved - 10 minutes at most and almost all of that is seperating the brass from the media and then dumping the media back in the tumbler.

Ultrasonic - certainly not faster, have to mess with expensive non-reusable chems, messy liquids, gotta dry the brass...

Nope - don't get it.

What am I missing?

+1 I use Midway's Frankford Arsenal vibratory and ground walnut hulls and no brass cleaner. For my volume of shooting it's perfect.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think start up cost is the big limiter. If you don't shoot a ton, throwing them in your $50 vibrator with some corn cob is cheaper at first then getting into the whole setup.

Actually just read that depending on the solution used, you will need to check your casings more often as it causes premature thinning of case walls.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vibratory cleaning work hardens the brass and can cause limited life.

Since work hardening is caused from brass on brass contact,... wouldnt this happen in a rotary too? Im not downplaying rotary, as I am still interested in it (and I am of the firm belief if you dont like the sound of it, DONT USE IT "for those who are talking crap about rotary")

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
30min to an hour opposed to 24 hours at a time though.

Vibratory isnt 24 hours. ROFL

The most my brass is in there is an hour or two at tops. Gets the brass clean enough to use again. I dont need my brass ultra shiny, that shine is just going to get fugged by my resizing die.

I am interested in rotary for a periodic "internal" cleaning. I can get a good shine on the inside, but youre right. My tumble time goes from 1-2 hours to 4 hours. BUT, its a rare occasion that I need to clean brass in a short turn around time... but it would be nice to put it through a rotary at least once in its lifecycle.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually just throw my brass in there and get to it when I get to it.

I want the inside and primer pockets cleaned on my 30-06 and my 338 brass. the 338 brass will also get annealed every firing or at least every other firing.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some folks like to deprime before cleaning....some after. Deprime before...pockets get cleaned. Deprime after and no chance of grit getting up in the sizer die.

What do ya'll prefer?

Latest posts

Top Bottom