Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
communication federal credit union has 2.9 % finance on storm shelters....hell of a good deal if you don't have immediate jack to drop and it qualifies for the cash discount at least with flatsafe.

USN-SCW-Ret

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Timing for getting a storm cellar installed is perfect. We called FlatSafe.com last week and signed a permit with the city, FlatSafe.com got our new 8 man cellar in installed in about a week. Got it for the wife for our 14th wedding anniversary.

Storm-Cellar3.jpgStorm-Cellar4.jpg

The price sheet posted for FlatSafe is still a valid prices, they did an awesome job and great communication. We got the 8 man composite unit. It took them about 3.5 hours to install.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
www.groundzeroshelters.com

My neighbors had the in-garage one put in recently. Looks well made and their's can hold up to 6 people I believe.

BTW- The company also has a service where they have your GPS coordinates and will come look for you after a tornado if they can't get ahold of you.

I used Ground Zero to install an above-ground shelter which they claim will (and has) survive an eF5 tornado. They were very professional and efficient about the work. The above ground shelter does offer some advantages especially if one has frail elderly or disabled/special physical needs family members for whom entering an underground shelter rapidly may itself represent a challange or danger.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went with FlatSafe and really like it. They provide a come-a-long and all the hardware can be easily removed with a small crescent wrench. I doubt I would ever be "trapped" in there. All neighbors know who does and does not have shelters so if we were trapped it wouldnt be for long.

Coz

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Undergroung shelters work great if you're not wheelchair bound.

Stan,

That's exactly why I went with an above-ground garage install by Ground Zero. In my case, not because I am wheel-chair bound but at the time if installationwe had two elderly relatives with limited mobility (my wife's gran and my mother who suffered a stroke some years ago). I am pretty sure we would have killed them trying to drop/toss them into an underground shelter in an emergency. More importantly they could have gotten themselves into the above ground shelter if needed.

sitealpha

New to the site!
Reaction score
Timing for getting a storm cellar installed is perfect. We called FlatSafe.com last week and signed a permit with the city, FlatSafe.com got our new 8 man cellar in installed in about a week. Got it for the wife for our 14th wedding anniversary.

View attachment 28261View attachment 28262

The price sheet posted for FlatSafe is still a valid prices, they did an awesome job and great communication. We got the 8 man composite unit. It took them about 3.5 hours to install.

I am considering getting the composite unit. Can you give me an update on how yours has preformed?

nmokie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Had mine installed 10 years ago. Had sloshing of water for a long time. Now I have rust along the bottom and it now leaks. Company went out of business. Anyone know if anyone fixes these things? Seems like it would be a pain to get it out and put in a new one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom