Unwelcome visitors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This guy has got to go. He's already pulled the spinner/ battery assembly off a different feeder. This on the bottom of the box is 4' off the ground. He had the battery pulled out and on the ground once. I put a hose clamp around it to keep it secure. I have a trap just out of picture range but nothing in it yet. Plus there were a couple sows with piglets.
1660921694500_MFDC9925 (2) battery box~3.jpg
IMG_20220819_090848467_HDR.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I already have to stand in the back of the pickup to fill it.
I get that, but you’re going to keep having problems at that height.
Everyone I know that has to deal with pigs either has the feeder tall enough the pigs can’t reach it or has a pen around their feeders or both.

Last edited:

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get that, but you’re going to keep having problems at that height.
Everyone I know that has to deal with pigs either has the feeder tall enough the pigs can’t reach it or has a pen around their feeders.

I had one one year that would push on the leg of my feeder (seriously heavy wall pipe) and move it around so some corn would fall out. It was set in the ground, so he never knocked it over, but he shook it as much as he could.

He was very tasty, in spite of his age and size.

FWIW - you have to keep them in check, because even if they can't climb it, they will get a hole wallowed out under it from getting the corn. When it rains, the deer won't get the corn out of the water, but the pigs will, and the problem grows. I had to wheel barrow dirt and rocks under mine one year after hogs dug it out.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like retrieverman suggested, put some taller legs underneath it then get you a few T-post and tie the legs to the post.

I carry a step ladder with me when I refill my feeders, the bottom of the spinner housing is about even with the top of my head.

I have also put pvc cut to about 3’ long and chained them towards the top of my legs to keep the coons from crawling up the legs and getting to the spinner.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
At my place in southeast ok, I have had to resort to hanging feeders to keep the hogs and bears from damaging my feeders. Place the feeder with the legs (or hanging) it such that the thrower unit is at least 7 feet off the ground. Stake the legs in place with steel posts so that the hogs can't knock the feeder over. That should take care of the hogs damaging your timer units.

The bears are a different story. The thrower unit needs to be at least 9 feet off the ground. Make sure that there are no trees and tree limbs within 8 feet of the barrel. Bears are great climbers and are smarter than most people think. (They can also climb and jump from one tree to another or to your feeder if there are any limbs stout enough to hold them. Don't ask me how I know.) I built my own gimbles out of pipe and attached them to the trees. Wrap the tree trunk with closely spaced barbed wire (recommend 4 point) from just above the base of the tree to 6 to 7 feet off the ground. Extra work to do this but I haven't lost a feeder unit since I started this (knock on wood) and it's a lot cheaper than replacing tore up feeder units.

Just my observations.

Latest posts

Top Bottom