Emergency Heat Strips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well @swampratt? There are 91,600 BTUs in a gallon of propane. Just looked it up and according to Google gas furnaces range from 40-200,000BTUs so 91,600/75,000=1.22 hours per gallon and say you’re paying $3.00/gallon if it’s running 50% of the time you’d be looking at around $60/day?? Now my math could be WAY off because I have no idea how large a furnace you’d need and really no clue how long it would have to run to maintain a particular temperature. One of our HVAC guys needs to chime in. 😬

Last edited:

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a question for the Propane guys.

Let me try and word this correctly.
How much would it cost monthly to run a propane furnace?

I ask because I have a rent house my son lives in and it is all electric NO natural gas meter.
Man the electric bills.
I see 100 gallons a month of usage on the internet for propane furnace but is that real?
And would that cost quite a bit a month.
Almost seems that electric is not any more expensive .
100 gallons per month probably won’t be cheaper than the electric bill. That’s a lot of propane for one month. It all depends on the size of the house and how warm one wants to keep it.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I ask because I have a rent house my son lives in and it is all electric NO natural gas meter.
Man the electric bills.
I see 100 gallons a month of usage on the internet for propane furnace but is that real?
1500 square feet and i use a little over 700 gal in a year. heat,hot water and kitchen stove. sometimes i get by on less than 500 gallon. i usually stock up in the summer when it is cheapest.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Man the electric bills.
Can't attest to a propane furnace but I do have a indoor swimming pool which has a 125k btu heater. In the winter the pool pump runs 24/7 along with heater on. Now it don't run continuous but is thermostat controlled to maintain 90 degree water. Which like today keeps the pool room about 70 degrees. The pool heater is the only thing I have that's propane and 200 gallons will last 3 1/2 months in winter.
After being totally electric I have started to run lines for propane backup heat in the house. But work and family issues have prevented getting it done this year.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Man the electric bills.
We use between 1000-1300 gallons a year depending on the winter temperatures, 4200sqft. Propane cook top, 2 hot water heaters, and 3 HVAC units.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have Nat Gas Central Heat, Nat Gas/ Propane Vent Frees “photo below”on the wall in two places, as well as two Nat Gas/Propane vent free in Garage and propane piped into house. As well as Generator Back up. And a Wood Stove.
So we have multiple ways to heat. Only thing I did not do is run a line of propane to the well house in case of electricity going off. But do have portable Buddy Propane heater to back up the heat tapes if need be.

I worked outdoors my whole life, I was raised till I left home with only wood heat. I freaking HATE to be cold in my home! As well as HATE being hot in my homes. I have back up A/Cs to back up the central A/C as well. Do it/buy it once cry once. Every home we have built, bought and remodeled we did this way. I grew up on a Water Well Drilling Rig and Pump Service going and unfreezing peoples water and wells in the winter was crazy. I vowed to myself at a young age this won’t happen at my home.

These vent free heaters can be bought dual fuel.

UTY 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Wall Heater, Propane Heater for Indoor Use - Dual Fuel, Vent-Free, with Free Standing Base Leg...

Last edited:

RC2469

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
By code, whoever installed the generator should have also installed load shed modules on the heat strips or other 2 pole breakers. A load calculation report is required by inspectors when a standby generator is installed. Unless performing a select circuits install, you either put in a generator that matches the kW number on the load report (or larger) or you load shed circuits to get you into a smaller generator. This gives you the ability to run everything in the house, just not simultaneously. By the way, I've never put a generator smaller than 24kW on a total electric house. I'm usually at 26kW or larger and still have at least one or two load shed modules.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
By code, whoever installed the generator should have also installed load shed modules on the heat strips or other 2 pole breakers. A load calculation report is required by inspectors when a standby generator is installed. Unless performing a select circuits install, you either put in a generator that matches the kW number on the load report (or larger) or you load shed circuits to get you into a smaller generator. This gives you the ability to run everything in the house, just not simultaneously. By the way, I've never put a generator smaller than 24kW on a total electric house. I'm usually at 26kW or larger and still have at least one or two load shed modules.
wow 26 KW? that is huge. i run my whole place on an onan djc 6 kw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom